Tried a Hawaiian Theme meal= Thank God for the Cake

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks Great, David!!
Maybe next time try your Pineapple & other additives on a Nice Ham Slice, instead of a Beef Patty.
When I was stationed in Hawaii, on Oahu (1969/1970), our favorite fast food Sammy was Ham, Fresh Pineapple, and whatever else you wanted on a Hamburger Bun.
They were Awesome!!
Like.

Bear

Looks Great, David!!
Maybe next time try your Pineapple & other additives on a Nice Ham Slice, instead of a Beef Patty.
When I was stationed in Hawaii, on Oahu (1969/1970), our favorite fast food Sammy was Ham, Fresh Pineapple, and whatever else you wanted on a Hamburger Bun.
They were Awesome!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks John for the like and the comment

That sounds real good also, and I can see doing that.

The problem was with the donut I used for a bun, the burger was great ,just not in the donut.
But I do love ham and pineapple sandwiches

David

OP, is the icing made with sweetened condensed milk or evaporated milk? It looks like the icing for German Chocolate cake and that's normally made with evaporated milk. All the online recipes I've found for that cake call for evaporated.

I'll start by saying the cake looks great so does the picture of the plated burger. I think that would have been a challenge to eat with a hoagie roll let alone a doughnut.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Sorry for the late reply. Was about to respond and got beckoned by SWMBO and forgot to get back. Sorry it didn't come out as planned or hoped but you could have fooled me. It all looks spectacular. Seriously, it looks amazing and I'd have never guessed it missed the mark. Although not much of a dessert eater, I'd certainly indulge in a huge piece of that cake!!

Robert

OP, is the icing made with sweetened condensed milk or evaporated milk? It looks like the icing for German Chocolate cake and that's normally made with evaporated milk. All the online recipes I've found for that cake call for evaporated.

That glaze/icing is made with evaporated milk. And yes I have called it German Glaze also. I might have said condensed by slip of the tongue
Thanks for asking

David

Reactions: 1MoreFord
I'll start by saying the cake looks great so does the picture of the plated burger. I think that would have been a challenge to eat with a hoagie roll let alone a doughnut.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

It was a tall burger for sure and I am not one for a real large burger ( except for the 2 pounder I made ) This was more of a would the donut be a good sub for a bun, well no it was not, just not strong enough and the flavors just too over power the burger flavors which were great

And the cake was fantastic . And the little dipped muffin bites also

Here is my other little burger, lol
16.JPG

David

Sorry for the late reply. Was about to respond and got beckoned by SWMBO and forgot to get back. Sorry it didn't come out as planned or hoped but you could have fooled me. It all looks spectacular. Seriously, it looks amazing and I'd have never guessed it missed the mark. Although not much of a dessert eater, I'd certainly indulge in a huge piece of that cake!!

Robert

Thanks Robert for the comment, never a worry about late reply. All good.

Yes the cake ( normally made as squares ) was great, very fresh as made with the crushed pineapple for the liquid

Yes the burger looked and tasted great , Just the donut was the wrong bun for the job. Great on it's own just not suitable for a bun.
But I won't learn if I don't try . So I ate it without the bun, but that was the reason for the smoke to see if the donut would make a good bun, now I know the rest of the story ,lol

David

Tried a Hawaiian Theme meal= Thank God for the Cake

Wanted to make a nice Hawaiian theme meal with mozza burger and a Teriyaki Pineapple Mayo, this turned out very nice.
And I have made my Bacon /cheese/pineapple donuts before , and talked about on another thread with Jeff @jcam222 that
it might be good as a Hamburger bun, so I made the donuts and filled the tins a little more to cover the donut hole, they were great also
BUT as a burger bun....NOT SO MUCH. lol live and learn as I say way too much lately. Here are some pics

View attachment 529525 View attachment 529526
View attachment 529527

Grilled up some fresh beef patties, bacon and fresh grilled pineapple, so far so good It was 3 deg. "C" here ( not sure where the picture with the cheese went.)

View attachment 529528

Made the Teriyaki pineapple and mayo , Mayo. Sliced up the donuts. Added lettuce, mayo, mozza, bacon B+B pickle and tomato's and red onions

View attachment 529529 View attachment 529530
View attachment 529531
View attachment 529532

So this where it went down hill, the donuts by themselves ..fantastic, nice texture, lots of flavors with the cheese, pineapple, and bacon and all the spices
but as a burger bun. Too sweet and over powers the burger flavors and cannot handle the pressure of being a bun for a burger , Just fell all to pieces and

a few choice curse words...wish I had a back up bun . Mona was smarter than I. ( always is, just ask her ) she just used bread for the burger. I ate mine with out the bun
after I cleaned up my hands and face.

Tried to make Potato Fritters also, They just turned out to be Bad/Bland potato blobs. I should just follow recipes instead of adding or trying something different
as seen in the picture above on the plate with the burger and cherry tomatoes....they really sucked. After a couple of chews , went in the garbage

SO for the star of the meal. .Hawaiian Splendor Cake I think I have mentioned this before . It is Mona's favorite cake that I make . I normally do this in a 9" x 13" pan and it is for squares. This time I wanted to make a cake . Had extra batter so also made mini muffins.
The cake batter is made using crushed pineapple as the liquid, it is a very refreshing and very moist cake, with a thick Golden Frosting ( German Glaze I was told ) made from boiled down condensed can milk

View attachment 529533 View attachment 529534 View attachment 529535
View attachment 529536
View attachment 529537
Making the frosting, butter, sugar, milk, vanilla, chopped walnuts, flaked sweetened coconut

View attachment 529538
View attachment 529539
View attachment 529540

Can you tell I like my sweets

View attachment 529541

Like I said thank god for the Cake, as the rest of the meal . back to the drawing board for it .

Thanks for reading and looking at the pics, I will do better next time ...lol

Don't get me wrong I still ate it , just not the way I thought I would ..Sorry no the potatoes went in the garbage

David

Looks tasty. But, I grew up on the beaches of Kauai Hawaii and California and it can't be a Hawaii theme unless it includes the two Hawaiian mainstays, macaroni salad made with tiny macaroni and too much mayo and somewhere Spam has to be incorporated into the meal. LOL

• Haha
Looks tasty. But, I grew up on the beaches of Kauai Hawaii and California and it can't be a Hawaii theme unless it includes the two Hawaiian mainstays, macaroni salad made with tiny macaroni and too much mayo and somewhere Spam has to be incorporated into the meal. LOL
I was thinking girls in hula skirts would fit the theme! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

WOW agaffer, those sound like great items to add to a meal to call it Hawaiian.ha ha
Like I did not have a big enough mess on my face from the burger bun

David

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
:emoji_blush: I best not say anymore!

Ryan

Good answer Ryan, I was tippy toeing on the line there . Sorry about that.
I'm a very bad person. lol

On an other note I have been doing a lot of reading On the history of Deadwood. The mini series was not too far off on the real story, well parts anyway.
Getting into the story of Sheriff Seth Bullock. Quite a history, quite a life.

David

Reactions: bauchjw
Good answer Ryan, I was tippy toeing on the line there . Sorry about that.
I'm a very bad person. lol

On an other note I have been doing a lot of reading On the history of Deadwood. The mini series was not too far off on the real story, well parts anyway.
Getting into the story of Sheriff Seth Bullock. Quite a history, quite a life.

David
Yep, we watched that show as well. We really enjoy going. A couple pics from the Veranda at the Franklin

20210728_154349.jpg

That space is only about a year old, added the bandstand and greenspace for concerts and what not. In the winter it's converted to ice skating rink.

20210728_154358.jpg

Notice difference in amount of trees...from the last forest fires they had.
We are always there during end of July and Day's of 76 rodeo. Think in August they have a huge car show which would be cool to see as well. Alot of history there for sure.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky