Tips to keep the A-MAZE-N pellet tray consistently lit up in my electric smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MooseSpectacles

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 4, 2021
New Jersey
Idk if I microwaved my pellets for too long, since I microwaved them for 2 minutes, stirred and then microwaved for another two minutes.

When torching them, they light up on top and turn black quickly, but I can never get the pellets glowing underneath. It just seems like the tops catch fire and follow the trail, but that's all I can get to happen, even after leaving the flame going for 10 minutes.

I tried putting it in the smoker after blowing out the flame, but the smoke stops after like a half hour.

What can I do to get a consistent burn and smoke?

Edit: forgot to add I put a foil tent over it, to avoid drippings from extinguishing it. Not sure if that's a big issue, too.

You can cover it from drippings but leave it about 4" at least above, it needs lots of oxygen to burn. Torch light, let them burn out. Torch light again, same thing, torch again. If using pellets, I normally have to do it about 3 times. I get them glowing red about an inch into the row. That's why preference is dust in my tray.

You can cover it from drippings but leave it about 4" at least above, it needs lots of oxygen to burn. Torch light, let them burn out. Torch light again, same thing, torch again. If using pellets, I normally have to do it about 3 times. I get them glowing red about an inch into the row. That's why preference is dust in my tray.

My smoker isn't very big. It's a 30 inch Masterbuilt. How would you recommend covering it? The only thing I could think of is laying foil on a rack, but then would whatever is on that rack just have a pool of liquid and not cook properly?

Are you leaving the chip loader open (pulled out) a couple of inches ?? leaving the chip tray out ?? top vent full open ??

Are you leaving the chip loader open (pulled out) a couple of inches ?? leaving the chip tray out ?? top vent full open ??
Pulled the chip loader out, maybe an inch, I did not leave the chip tray out this time but plan to next time, and yes, the top vent was fully open

Why aren't you using dust in your maze or are you? If not make up a bag of dust it works way better in the mazes than pellets.

Nuke your pellets or dust like you did, then light with a turbo torch. Don't light it from the top, light it from the bottom. Fill with dust and a few pellets, light the torch and hold it against the underside of the tray torch tip held tightly against the underside of the tray in one spot until the pellets burn through to the top layer. Should only take 1-2 minutes to light it, if it's taking longer you need a better torch.
If your flame on your torch goes out easily when you move the torch quickly from side to side it's not a turbo "Mapp Gas Torch" Make sure when you buy your canister of gas that it is Mapp gas and not propane gas.
This is the type of torch that you want, Mapp gas burns twice as hot as LP gas. Pull your drawer out almost all the way and open your top and any side vents 100%. You'll have to figure out how to cover the maze without choking off the air supply. Even if that means cutting both ends of a coffee can off then cut the can in half long ways. So it has airspace but still covers the tray like a covered wagon.

I'm beat, if this doesn't make sense to you, I'll try again in the morning.
Dan.:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Idk if I microwaved my pellets for too long, since I microwaved them for 2 minutes, stirred and then microwaved for another two minutes.

When torching them, they light up on top and turn black quickly, but I can never get the pellets glowing underneath. It just seems like the tops catch fire and follow the trail, but that's all I can get to happen, even after leaving the flame going for 10 minutes.

I tried putting it in the smoker after blowing out the flame, but the smoke stops after like a half hour.

What can I do to get a consistent burn and smoke?

Edit: forgot to add I put a foil tent over it, to avoid drippings from extinguishing it. Not sure if that's a big issue, too.

Where are you located??
What is your Elevation?

Bear

Why aren't you using dust in your maze or are you? If not make up a bag of dust it works way better in the mazes than pellets.

Nuke your pellets or dust like you did, then light with a turbo torch. Don't light it from the top, light it from the bottom. Fill with dust and a few pellets, light the torch and hold it against the underside of the tray torch tip held tightly against the underside of the tray in one spot until the pellets burn through to the top layer. Should only take 1-2 minutes to light it, if it's taking longer you need a better torch.
If your flame on your torch goes out easily when you move the torch quickly from side to side it's not a turbo "Mapp Gas Torch" Make sure when you buy your canister of gas that it is Mapp gas and not propane gas.
This is the type of torch that you want, Mapp gas burns twice as hot as LP gas. Pull your drawer out almost all the way and open your top and any side vents 100%. You'll have to figure out how to cover the maze without choking off the air supply. Even if that means cutting both ends of a coffee can off then cut the can in half long ways. So it has airspace but still covers the tray like a covered wagon.

I'm beat, if this doesn't make sense to you, I'll try again in the morning.
Dan.:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:
Where are you located??
What is your Elevation?

Bear
I'm in NJ. Not sure what my elevation is, but could safely assume it's not very high.

I'm in NJ. Not sure what my elevation is, but could safely assume it's not very high.

OK---Just wanted to make sure your problem wasn't elevation. It isn't, if you're in Jersey. I'm not sure about North Jersey, but the rest is Flat Lands.
You should put your location in your Profile, then we could tell where you are without asking. It makes it easier to answer some questions.

Bear

OK---Just wanted to make sure your problem wasn't elevation. It isn't, if you're in Jersey. I'm not sure about North Jersey, but the rest is Flat Lands.
You should put your location in your Profile, then we could tell where you are without asking. It makes it easier to answer some questions.

Bear
Thanks for the suggestion. Done!

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky