Timing-scheduling question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ashman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Montgomery, AL
I want to have a couple of butts ready for my daughter's birthday Monday.  They want to have them for lunch.  I have to work Monday morning, so was planning on smoking them over the weekend, however I wanted to have them hot off the smoker.  So...I can either cook them all night Sunday and be dragging Monday, or cook them during the day Sunday or Saturday....but my question is, do I let them cool down and put them in the frig until Monday, then warm them back up in the oven?  What would you do?

I have often cooked them several days ahead - pulled them and bagged them with some finishing liquid my vac sealer. On the day of the event you can reheat them in hot (not boiling) water until they are hot again ( about 30 -45 min) 

If you do not have a sealer - put them in a pan with finishing liquid and heat in the oven on 225-250 or in a crock pot on low 

Happy Birthday to your daughter

It is safer to finish them, Pull them, Chill, then reheat the pulled pork. Finishing Sauce or Apple Juice is a good choice to add when reheating. I'll post mine if you are interested...JJ

JJ's Finishing Sauce

2C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. Let rest, at room temp, 30 minutes for the flavors to meld together.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky