Brisket travel and timing dilema

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ccarrigan

Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
I just purchased a 12lb prime brisket that I was going to smoke for the family. However, we're visiting friends next weekend and my wife thought it would be good for the party on Sunday. We're leaving next Friday around 3pm so thoughts on...

Starting the smoke Thursday morning maybe 7am, cook and wrap and have it resting around 7pm, vacuum seal when it's around 140, ice bath then put it in the fridge and keep it cold until Sunday. Thoughts?

Too long in the fridge initially?
Too long in the fridge post cook?
Inexpensive vacuum sealer?
Any other advice on timing?

Reactions: JLeonard
I have a wife that loves to commit me to alternate plans, too.
I would separate the point and reserve for another day.
Cook the flat completely to probe tender this weekend. Screw that last minute timing.
Trim down the surface fat to roughly 1/4" thick ad score it heavily. I like to smoke until the stall around 170° then put in a foil pan, cover and finish in the oven until probe tender. Cool completely and slice to serving size across the grain and once with the grain. Back into the foil pan and fridge until you leave.
Next weekend warm in oven to serving temp.
Watch as your brisket disappears the fastest from the table.

I have done this several times when expecting to feed a large crowd a few days later. Similar here as "Fueling Around" suggested, but I use a crock pot because I knew their oven was going to be busy with other foods getting ready for the feast. I smoke mine early and slice and store in a covered crock pot in the frig. You could transport in an ice chest if needed depending on drive time. About 3-3.5 hours before needed, I start a slow heating process. I add a little beef broth to keep it moist while it is warming and to even out the heat. To me and all my guests who have devoured them and other smoked meats many times in the past, it is at least as good as fresh off the smoker if not better and I have had no stress. Good Luck To You and let us know how it worked out.

I just purchased a 12lb prime brisket that I was going to smoke for the family. However, we're visiting friends next weekend and my wife thought it would be good for the party on Sunday. We're leaving next Friday around 3pm so thoughts on...

Starting the smoke Thursday morning maybe 7am, cook and wrap and have it resting around 7pm, vacuum seal when it's around 140, ice bath then put it in the fridge and keep it cold until Sunday. Thoughts?

Too long in the fridge initially?
Too long in the fridge post cook?
Inexpensive vacuum sealer?
Any other advice on timing?
If I understand this correctly you will smoke on a Thursday and eat that Sunday, correct? If so you got this easily.
No need to even vac seal it at all.

You can smoke it like you normally do Thursday and then tightly double wrap in foil let it cool to put in the fridge. Don't want it too hot in the fridge or it will heat up your fridge big time lol.

I would then slice it while it's cold the next day on Friday. It will slice like a dream when fully cold. You should also be able to keep all the slices together so that it assembles back in the foil like it was all one piece, shouldn't be too hard. Wrap it tightly with the foil and it keep well in place while sliced.

Then I would warm it up Sunday by taking the whole foil wrapped thing, set it on a pan (in case theres any leaking) and warm it up in the oven. Serve hot and enjoy, it will be perfectly fine. I know from experience.

In all you don't have to do anything fancy.

Reactions: 801driver and tpc74
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky