Brisket hold advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
I’m gonna hold a brisket at 145 after cooking for an extended period. - 13 to 15 hours the way timing is working out. I’ve read about 2 options

1. Smoke until “done/tender”, let cool to 160ish to stop cooking, then hold at 145

2. Take off before “done”, still slightly tight, then directly into 145 and let carry over finish it off.

Option 1 seems to provide a little more control. Thoughts?

Reactions: JLeonard
I'd run with number 1. But those that have cooked a lot more than me will weigh in shortly.

Jim

I pull somewhere around 193-195 on most of mine. I pop them (covered) into a preheated 200 degree oven and turn the oven off immediately. I like a little chew, but it's more than tender enough to bite though clean on a sandwich. IMO - most brisket taken to over 200 is overcooked. I've had some that needed 200, but that's a rare occasion.

I'm so anal about the long rest that I'll skip dinner to wait if it hasn't rested long enough.

So I would go more option 2.

Youtube videos of Goldies says pull at 194 and hold for 12/14 hours at 140.
Cooking all the way done and then holding will overcook it.
It's like sous vide, you can completely cook at a low temp if you let it run long enough.
If you do pull at 204 or whatever fully done is on your brisket, let it air down until it hits 160 berfore the hold.
If using butcher paper, spritz some water on the paper before wrapping, wrap super tight, then place it on a cooling rack to keep it off the bottom of the container.
Then pour near boiling water into the bottom the the container to add a steam effect, but don't let the meat get wet.
I'm lusting after a Cambro but the war dept forbids it so I may try to use my dehydrator, it goes to 160 and will hold a brisket.
I figure if I wrap tight in paper and then in cling wrap, it won't dehydrate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky