Brisket Flop... but why?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NCSmoking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2023
Relatively new here. Have smoked on my BGE for a few years and decided to try a pellet. Got a little lean 5 lb brisket. Trimmed but not much. Seasoned and Injected one evening and let sit in frig overnight.
Smoked at 225 until IT 170 - about 4-5 hours
Wrapped in butcher paper, but not really tight in hindsight
Cooked at 260 till IT 203 - about 5 hours
Used Traeger probe but verified readings 3 times with my trusted Thermometer
Removed, kept wrapped, never opened. Wrapped in towel and place in my Yeti
Allowed to rest over night for about 10-11 hours
Opened and it was over done, very little red, some juice at the bark.....
Quite disappointing.
Did the Yeti keep it too warm and cooking? Should I have let rest more prior to placing in cooler? Rested shorter time period?
Did the looser butcher wrap maybe let out moisture?
Any help would be great.

Reactions: JLeonard
Brisket won't be red inside, unless you mean a smoke ring?
Sounds like you did everything more or less correctly, though I've never gone as high as 260° with butcher paper, or had one rest that long. I wrap in foil when placing in the cooler, to keep it from leaking. You didn't mention if it was tender enough for you? If not, then use a wooden skewer next time to test doneness. It should slide into the meat like warm butter. That's generally when we pull it off the smoker.

Reactions: JLeonard
The brisket probably kept carry-over cooking in the Yeti if you placed it in there immediately. If you cooked it up to 203, then you probably should have let it rest down to at least 180 before placing in the cooler. The problem then is it won't hold as long. 11 hours seems like a long time in a cooler, but a Yeti might be able to do it.

Brisket won't be red inside, unless you mean a smoke ring?
Sounds like you did everything more or less correctly, though I've never gone as high as 260° with butcher paper, or had one rest that long. I wrap in foil when placing in the cooler, to keep it from leaking. You didn't mention if it was tender enough for you? If not, then use a wooden skewer next time to test doneness. It should slide into the meat like warm butter. That's generally when we pull it off the smoker.
Sorry, yes the red was the smoke ring. It did leak some in the cooler but the paper got most and a little on the towel I used to wrap. Reading more threads here I really need to use a skewer to test after temp is reached. It was only a flat. The rest time was unplanned as it finished so late in the evening. I would try to limit to 4 hours next time. Thank you for responding!

"lean" and "5 lbs brisket" caught my eye. Was this just a small lean flat? They are notoriously difficult to cook solo. If yes SmokinAl SmokinAl has a method you can use to help get better results.
Excellent insight, that I did not know. That is exactly what it was on it was solo on the grill. I will search for SmokinAI method. Thanks!

I cook small brisket flats pretty regularly. What I do is run the smoke until I hit 150 or 160ish and then into a foil pan with some liquid (broth, beer, etc.), cover the pan and put it back in the smoker and let it ride until probe tender.

I cook small brisket flats pretty regularly. What I do is run the smoke until I hit 150 or 160ish and then into a foil pan with some liquid (broth, beer, etc.), cover the pan and put it back in the smoker and let it ride until probe tender.
Doug
at what temp do you get it to 150ish and then do you remain the same temp?
Thanks, Peter

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky