Time to Buy a Sausage Stuffer: Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

silverwolf636

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 18, 2008
East Ohio, Uhrichsville, Ohio
Wife and I have been talking bout makin our own link sausage. We own a KitchenAid mixer that we can buy a stuffer attachment for. It's only like 10-12 dollars. Does anyone own this. It just seems so cheap but we do have the main part that was over $200.
The stuffer does 3/8 and 5/8 thick links.
The reason for goin this route instead of buy a real one is that due to layoff funds are limited. I already have a meat grinder.

Mixer we have:

Sausage attachment for 10-12 bucks that goes on it:

thanx gang,
--ray--

When you say you have the main part that cost over $200 are you refering to the mixer?

The Sausage Stuffer (SSA) that costs $10 is just the tubes that go onto the Food Grinder Attachment (FGA) that costs about $40 if I remember. Do you have the FGA already?

Anyway, I have the FGA and the SSA. The FGA works good for grinding meat. The SSA was a PITA. I used it once and quickly decided to buy a vertical sausage stuffer. THE SSA is real slow and tends to mush up the ground sausage as you try to force it in.

Just my $.02

For $200 you must be talking about the kit that has the sausage grinder, food mill for fuits and vegetables and slicer shredder - it is known as the attachment pack. If you want to just get a grinder, Reeko is correct it is about $40 and the stuffer tube adds another $10 or so. The reviews on the stuffer have not been good. The one suggestion I have heard is to modify a large plate to open it up to allow better flow and to use a larger tube.
There is also a link on post 51 on modifying a plate so you can use it as a stuffer - see below

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...en+aid+stuffer

Hope this helps

I have recently introduced my friend in Oregon to sausage making. He has the same unit you do. He made 30# batch of kielbasa and said it turned out great! He did mention that it was a chore though. I would think if your financial situation wont allow you a stuffer, this would be a great alt. I would start out with small batches, like 10# and take it from there. Not sure about the prices.....

Silverwolf.
The sausage Stuffer Attachment does not include everything you need.
Do you already have the food grinder? The SSA requires the food grinder.
In that picture, the SSA kit (that cost $10) is JUST the tubes (2 I think) and a spacer that goes in the FGA to hold the Auger.

Just want you to be clear that you need the Grinder. Like Scarbelly said, the Grinder does also come in a larger combined kit, so if you have that already, great.

Ray I am betting that the onlt thing you will get for $10-$12. is the stuffing tubes, I would check with the seller to be sure but if it is on eBay it will only be the tubes...

Read this ad closely: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Kitchenaid-S...item4a9d188409

The Food Grinder attachment is around $75.00 extra...

Check this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KITCHEN-AID-...item5ad5c8a9cc

You would be better off buying a 5# vertical stuffer in the long run...

I just bought one from Grizzly for $69.99 and it is nice. here is the link if you are interested... I just noticed that they are now $72.95

http://grizzly.com/products/5-lb-Ver...uffer-SS/H6252

I'll tell you I started with the sausage making stuff and I cann't get enough. Ihave ground everything all the way up to the nike shoes I have on rght now. It really easy and fun to make sausage for sure. You will love the stuff that you make and don't forget to share it's almost as fun as making the sausage in the first place. Then You have to make some more for you.

Here is a link to Culinary Parts Warehouse / Gourmet Depot- they have complete accessory kit with the vegetable grinder and the slicer for $99 and the grinder attachment only for about $48 and a refurbished unit for $36. I have been buying from these folks for years and they have always had good customer service

http://www.thegourmetdepotco.com/sto...4&search=kgrnd

Ray,

From someone who has gone that route, I don't recommend the stuffers for the Kitchen Aid. Whoever said the stuffer was a PITA was quite right, it takes a lot longer to stuff sausage with it because the ground meat comes oozing up around the plunger.

I realize cash flow is an issue, but there is nothing that compares to a dedicated stuffer. 5lbs of sausage stuffing went from an almost 2hr long endeavour to about 5 minutes.

Did you say you have a meat grinder? Can someone chime in here about using a stuffing tube on a meat grinder rather than the Kitchen Aid, would that be any better? As I recall there seems to be a few people on here that stuff sausage that way, with the ol' hand crank grinder.

Alternately, until you can free up the finances how about making patties? Get a package of those little burger separater papers, and go to it.

that should work OK for small batches, and will probably stuff OK if you grind it right into the casings. If you grind and then try to run it back thru to stuff, you will probably experience what the others are saying.

Here is the link I was talking about - it was posted by Hoser on 12/15

I have the heavy duty kitchenaid, and I use it for sausage all the time....usually 10 pounds at a time. It's slow, but if you're not going to be making it week in and week out, I don't forsee any problems.

The only drawback is stuffing...what you can do is get an extra grinding plate, and drill it out on a drill press to open it up so it acts more like a spacer that you'd get with a better grinder. This allows the ground mixture to flow more freely, and makes stuffing a lot more fun.

Try to drill the extra plate out to look something like this:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky