think of this post as a "public service announcement " for older folks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
i have posted before that i was interested in a "Dakota water stuffer " and during the winter bought one
i used it for the 1st time this past Saturday on a 10lb test batch , the reason i called this thread a "public service announcement " is because for many of us "older folks " with bad shoulders that like to make sausage the water stuffer is the answer to our prayers
like most of you i had a ton of questions regarding these odd looking stuffers, but having bad shoulders i knew i had to find a better way to stuff sausage casings , so Saturday i set it up , filled it with ground sausage , held my breath and slowly opened thewater valve , i will swear on my dead mothers grave the 1st words that ran through my mind was "you've got to be kidding, it can't be this easy "......with no more effort than cracking open a small water valve , i was stuffing sausage , i was totally amazed at how little water pressure it was taking to make it work . it was just that easy , the water doesn't get anywhere near the meat in the tube thanks to the double o-rings ,it will stuff the casings as fast OR slow as you could ever want it to
now for how i set it up : our house does not have a facet that i could connect a hose to so i ran a garden hose from outside through the kitchen window to the stuffer ( this takes about 1 1/2 -2 minutes to do ) i did not have a way to drain the stuffer where i wanted to use it , so i got the big turkey fryer pot to catch the discharge water, then i found and old garden hose and cut it so that i had about a 5 foot drain hose and connected it to the drain valve of the stuffer ( worked like charm ) after stuffing a tad more than 10 lbs of sausage the drain pot was no more than 1/4 full
IF you are like me and don't want to have sore tired arms and shoulders from cranking the other types of stuffers
buy one of these and say goodbye to all that hard work !!

Attachments

• stuffer.jpg
    stuffer.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
thanks , try using this type stuffer once and i promise you will never go back to a crank type stuffer ever again !!

you know, i was very reluctant about buying one of these because like most i thought stuffers had to be made from metal, you know like heavy manly metal, so i kinda had to talk myself into buying it
but this thing will put those "manly stuffers " to shame ...lol

I use a Dakota water stuffer. I started out with a homemade version that held 15 pounds of meat, so I was a little disappointed with the size, but I typically only do about 8 pounds at a time anyway.

on Saturday i crammed 10.2 lbs into mine i had always used a 15 lb vertical stuffer in the past but the difference in the speed of stuffing with the Dakota makes the difference in capacity a non issue for me , once i get used to using it , i am positive that i will be able to stuff casings at least 3 times faster with virtually no work
i would love it if Dakota made a 20-25 lb version but till they do i'll be very happy using the10 lb one .......next weekend i am planning on doing somewhere around 100+ lbs using the Dakota

it is !!
like a lot of people , i kinda balked at the idea of having to connect water hoses to a stuffer , but the truth is that anyone that can screw on a garden hose can hook this thing up , the discharge water also bothered me but in reality all thats needed is a short hose and a 5 gal. bucket ....thats it!!! your ready to stuff!!!
another thing i like about it is , there is no need to bolt it to the table because it does NOT move around unlike the crank types
it really is a pleasure to use !!
in the picture i posted you will see a paper towel under the valves ,i only hand tightened the hoses and still only had 2-3 drops of water leak , so don't let that worry you

Last edited:
I had both a kirby water stuffer and dakota

Sold both.....a real pita to clean besides leaks

Cant beat either of my LEMs

mmmmm thats strange ?
i didn't tighten anything more than hand tight and like i said only had 2-3 drops of water leak , the paper towel in the picture wasn't even close to being wet !
as far as cleaning , what i did was : when i finished stuffing , i took the Dakota outside and reconnected the hose and used water pressure to push the piston completely out of the tube , removed the o-rings and washed as normal , i did have to use one of those brushes with a handle and foam head to reach the far end of the tube , ( easy to do ) the entire cleaning process took at most 5 minutes .
i really fail to see what could be hard about cleaning it

in todays world we will never get 100% agreement on anything and thats ok , we still have people traveling using a horse and buggy and thats fine ,but i think most of us look for easier more modern ways of doing things , and thats why i posted my experience with the Dakota water stuffer, i have used the crank type stuffers for years and was looking for a better way, and in my view i found it, if other people want to struggle with the old crank stuffers thats suits me just fine , maybe they did have a bad experience with a water stuffer , if we look hard enough we can always find something to complain about . my goal was to offer an easier way to do what many of us consider the hardest part of sausage making , and i think and i have done that , the rest is up to those that read this and want a better alternative

last Sunday i ground , stuffed and smoked 64 1/4 lbs of sausage using the Dakota water stuffer !!! if there is an easier or faster way to stuff sausage casings , i have not found it period !!!!!

Reactions: jlpicard
Question
Why are you pushing the Dakota? What works good for you, May not work good for others.

Do you work for Eldon & Karen?
Curious

I found greasing the O-ring and canister with Crisco made stuffing a breeze.... I will not give up my 5# vertical stuffer for anything, well, maybe Jennifer Anniston.. HAHAHAHAHAHA...

1623186176586.png

1st thing is : i have no idea who those folks are !!
2nd thing is : it works , and it saves a LOT of hard work
3rd thing is : if other folks like doing it the hard way , i say by all means do it and enjoy
this post was mainly to help other older folks that might be thinking about stopping making sausage because it is getting to be to much work at our age ........thats all folks i'm done !!!!

Years back my brother in law owned a meat stand at the famed Cleveland Westside Market. He specialized in Hungarian / Polish meats. I would help out during various holidays. He had a commercial water stuffer, it would do 50lbs at a time. Boy he could get that thing going and link them on the fly. It had a foot operated valve so both hands are free.

RG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky