Three point cuts of brisket, want to do burnt ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

masssmoke

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 8, 2016
Massachusetts
so I have three separate brisket points all around 3 pounds or so. I couldn't find a whole packer and the place had separated the point and flat cuts, so thinking of wanting burnt ends, I bought the points.
I am thinking of smoking them "as is" after rubbing them up and then pulling them around 165 or when you you'd normally wrap. Instead of a foil wrap, I will plan to cube them up and add some type of liquid to braise and then cover the foil pan with foil wrap. Then once tender or close to it I will remove the foil wrap and add some bbq sauce and let them firm up.
Does that sound like a plan or would you suggest another method like keeping the three points whole until they are tender meaning obviously much longer than 165, more like to 190 or so, then cubing and adding them to a foil pan?

The point is ALL I buy these days, best part of the cow, dino rib meat aside (ok maybe a two inch porterhouse too).
After you cube it up, put the cubes back in the smoke for an hour or three to develop a good bark on the non exposed sides, then add sauce and pan, or not.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I too would buy points only if I could easily get them. There's not a wrong way to cook them, only a matter of personal preference. I would cook them to the 200° zone, trim excess fat & cube 'em up and coat them with rub & sauce (or how ever you like to season them) in a foil pan and back into the smoker for at least another hour if not longer.

I lean on the "burnt" part of the burnt ends. Cook em! To me the point is like a chicken thigh as both seem very forgiving in regard to temp.

I am thinking of smoking them "as is" after rubbing them up and then pulling them around 165 or when you you'd normally wrap. Instead of a foil wrap, I will plan to cube them up and add some type of liquid to braise and then cover the foil pan with foil wrap.
I like to let the tenderness be my guide on when to cube, sauce and cook even more tender. I'm not sure how cubing at 165° will work out.

I have no problem cooking points as is (with some trimming of the heavy kernels of fat)...
mHB6CrU.jpg

... but for more even cooking I sort of butterfly them to lay flatter.
hPEpFJT.jpg

SAGNbET.jpg

As far as making perfect cubes... I like rustic burnt ends.
jH2Yw.jpg

CScDT.jpg

hi all thanks for the replies. I am going to cook to tender whole, and maybe butterfly if they are thick, as suggested above, and then cube up and go from there. thanks!

Reactions: texomakid
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky