Theoretical Moonshine question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have had some with the cherries that have been soaked.  The things were white when I saw them in the jar.  My friend has some Apple pie sitting ready for gifts for the Holidays right now.

Dr. Strangelove is one of my Husband's fav movies.  And yes---sigh....I was a Kiss fan myself!

Haven't tried the legal versions yet (haven't seen them in the stores but did see it on tv). My dad used to always have a couple mason jars around he got from friends down south. I have tried the cherry one, its ok after 2 or 3 shots of it but the first one I didn't like, I have had it straight and that was the roughest thing I have even had. Now the apple pie is beyond delicious!
pot.gif
cheers.gif

Can't wait to find that Ole Smokey Shine

I am not sure about everyone else but I have been seeing a lot more of the stuff around in the last few years.  Lots of flavors too.  Like blueberry, lemon, apple pie, vanilla.  

Call me crazy but I think the shine is on a comeback.  I have also read that a new distillery is opening  up in Town.  We have antiquated laws in this country and with today's technology there shouldn't be any reason for the small guy to get involved.  Look at the Micro brew laws that are changing now.  Good things coming.

my 2 cents.

I think that added a few oak chips to the jar is a good idea.  

Aaron.

I just finished up a jar of the Blueberry.. It had about about a cup of berry's in it... it was pretty damn good... don't know anything about making it, so no help from me... but if you need an "official taste tester" just let me know... lol

I agree, it does seem to be on the comeback trail. With the economy the way it is, I'm sure more and more folks are going to be, er...experimenting. Not only that, but the whole local, sustainable fad (yes I say fad, I believe in the concept, but not as a fashion statement) more and more startup distilleries are appearing. In addition, thanks to the interwebs, home brewing, growing and producing of all sorts of things, as a hobby, is extremely popular. My interest is purely out of curiosity. We'll be heading down south just after Christmas and I think I'll pick up a quart or two to try adding a little oak. If it works, I'll try a larger quantity, legally acquired of course. I could always shell out the bucks for a 5 liter barrel, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the experiment.

It has been a long time since i have had actual Moonshine, our neighbor where I grew up always had some, would never tell anyone where he got it. as I grew up I had the chance to occasionally partake in some of enjoyment. It was a nice not harsh burn not much for flavor though.

The closest I get today is grain alcohol like Everclear, that is what we use for the apple pie.

I wonder what it would be like if I were to toss some in a jar with some blueberries or strawberries.

I agree, it does seem to be on the comeback trail. With the economy the way it is, I'm sure more and more folks are going to be, er...experimenting. Not only that, but the whole local, sustainable fad (yes I say fad, I believe in the concept, but not as a fashion statement) more and more startup distilleries are appearing. In addition, thanks to the interwebs, home brewing, growing and producing of all sorts of things, as a hobby, is extremely popular. My interest is purely out of curiosity. We'll be heading down south just after Christmas and I think I'll pick up a quart or two to try adding a little oak. If it works, I'll try a larger quantity, legally acquired of course. I could always shell out the bucks for a 5 liter barrel, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the experiment.
fed

maybe a bit harsh. you can buy grain alcohol in many states including oregon which is close to where I live. that stuff is crap. It is real good to defrost my window cleaning soloutiion when it is below freezing but other than parlor tricks, like blowing fire. nothing like shine. not good. you can buy nearly complete distillery equipment for making your own cleaning alcohol on line and that is allowed by law. If you are not going commercial in any way. it is a craft. draconian laws from bygone era's will persist but hey. to each there own. here in washington people are bending laws every which way. You will not be taken down if you do not try to make money off of something you like and are a productive tax paying worker bee. smoke on!!!

Putting oak chips rather than chunks will impart a flavor very rapidly compared to aging in barrels. It won't impart the exact same flavor though. Except for Bullet Bourbon and the really top shelf stuff that I can't afford, I'm not a huge fan of Bourbon, so I'm not sure what the charring will do if somebody were to make shine on that scale. Theoretically speaking, though, if you wanted to steep a bunch of fresh mint plants in a honey-wart like you were making minted mead, then distill that and put a bunch of oak chips in it and let it sit for about 6-12 months, you would have something that serious single malt scotch drinkers would rave about. I'm just sayin'

Those look pretty cool.

I didn't know they were making them.  Several friends have gotten the larger barrels from there and are aging beers in them.  So far, all that I've tasted has been good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky