The return - Getting ready for smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron50

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2007
FL
Well the final piece of the puzzle was delivered today, my new Thermoworks thermometer. The Jelly Belly beans they included was a nice touch. I hope it's like riding a bike.
I had to replace pretty much everything after my long hiatus from smoking meat but now I am finally ready to attempt my first pork butt tomorrow after a long break.
Some prep pics.

Attachments

• Smokx4.jpg
    Smokx4.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 28
  • JellyBeans.jpg
    JellyBeans.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Jeff'sRub.jpg
    Jeff'sRub.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 20
  • CharcoalBasket.jpg
    CharcoalBasket.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 29
Ron I think you'll do a fine job you've done enough of them just like riding a bike.

Reactions: sumosmoke and ron50
Getting a late start and having issues with the temperature spiking. Rubbed the butt down last night with Jeff's rub and wrapped it.
Seasoned.jpg
Using the minion method and I think I added too much lit charcoal. Closed down all the bottom vents and waiting for it to stabilize. Was 300 degrees initially and now down to 285. Going to add the meat at 275.
It is a beautiful day though and it's good to have the smell of smoke gain on my clothes. Life is good.

Had the temp controlled had it down to 255. Put the butt on and as I tried to slide the temperature probe for the meat through the grommet it popped off, ugh. Smoker was too hot to get it back on so had to plug with foil and move on.
Of course all that time with the cover off and I'm back to 325 degrees. Hoping it comes down quicker this time or I am going to wind up with baked pork and not smoked pork.

It does give me an appreciation for the struggle newbies encounter and persevere through. Temp already down to 305.

Well the final piece of the puzzle was delivered today, my new Thermoworks thermometer. The Jelly Belly beans they included was a nice touch. I hope it's like riding a bike.
I had to replace pretty much everything after my long hiatus from smoking meat but now I am finally ready to attempt my first pork butt tomorrow after a long break.
Some prep pics.
Looking forward to how this turned out, welcome back to the wonderful world of smoked meats!

Reactions: ron50
About 3 hours in and things have calmed down. Smoker is 228 degrees and butt is about 130. Smoke is thin and blue, just the way it should be.

About time to open a frosty beverage.

Reactions: mr mac
5 1/2 hours in:
Smoker 255 Butt 157. Temp is started to slow. Getting near the stall.

Frosty Beverage
Beer.jpg

Reactions: jaxgatorz
That probe has 1.24 MILE range on it!?!?!?

Jiom

That's what they claim. And that is unobstructed line of sight. I will be happy if it works from the smoker to my couch lol.

I have this model and I bring it to Michigan for deer hunting. I monitor the temps from the deer blind. But I haven't fully tested the 1.24 mile claim. Maybe 3/4-1 mile or so.

We rode around on the side by side over the entire 100 acre property. I only lost signal in 1 far back corner. And this is somewhat hilly, not flat.

• Wow
Reactions: JLeonard and ron50
We took a walk with our pups and we lost signal for a moment about 1/2 mile away and then it reconnected, but that is in a neighborhood with a lot of homes between us and the smoker.

8 hours in now. Smoker 235, butt is at 173.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Hit the stall. Meat temp is now 170.5 and still heading lower so lost 2.5 degrees in the past hour. I've had plenty of stalls before but don't remember the IT actually decreasing. Also struggling to maintain smoker temp as most of the RO charcoal bag is filled with tiny pieces.
They use to be my go to for lump charcoal. Never again.
Well, nothing to do but wait it out.

Made it through the stall. Temp went down to 170 now back up above 172.
Hopefully clear sailing from this point.

10 hours in so far.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky