Thankgiving hams

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

talox

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
West Simsbury, Ct.
Brined hams.JPG

Three hams fresh from the brine, Theyll be hanging in the fridge till monday when one will get baked and the others will come toi life on the WSM

Absolutely,
It all starts with 2 gallons an offshoot of pops brine using
1/2 a cup of real maple syrup
a cup of brown sugar
1 1/2 TBL anise seed
3 TBL Juniper berries
2 tbl mustard seed

The hams are actually Boneless shoulders ( picnics) Trimmed of most of the fat stuffed into #28 netting.

The hams are then injected
I inject them while they are submerged in the brine, I found there is lessc oncern with the brine squirting out between the layers.

The hams sat in the bring bucket submerged for 10 days - rotating and giving the brine a stir every 3 days

The hams were pull on day 10, Rinsed and then Hung back in the fridge for another day and a half. to dry.

I ended up laying the middle ham on a rack since i didn't like it touching the others ( airflow)

Now I what till tommorow for the Smoke~~~~~~~~

Pops-wet-curing-brine

Reactions: Slow42
Hams are done.. Pulled at 6pm this evening after a long slow (8 hrs) smoke.

Here they are at 1 pm....
hams11-25at1.JPG

After being pulled and Netting removed at 6 - 144*
Hams 11-25at6.jpg

I also decided it was cool enough to throw some Cheese on . So I broke out the A-MAZE-N smoker tube and smoke a couple lbs of Cheese (Gruyere and Cheddar smoked with Maple Pellets)
Cheese11-25.JPG

The hams and cheese have been vacuum sealed and are now resting till Thursday...

Ahh ... The 3rd ham was baked in the oven (dutch oven) till it reached 140* this one I'll glaze and finish thanksgiving AM also a couple hours at 350 should do it..

Half-baked.JPG

Reactions: EaOutlaw1969
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky