How Long can a Country Ham Age?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Count Porcula

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2020
I've been trying to get answers about this elsewhere, and I can't believe I didn't think to ask here.

I'm from Eastern Kentucky. My grandmother and her brother used to cure hams. They were fantastic. In my opinion, pork was better and fattier back then, and my understanding is that her hams hung for a couple of years, not three months or 8 months, like a lot of store-bought hams.

I was thinking about curing a ham here at home, using a beer fermentation fridge to get it through the beginning of the process so it wouldn't rot. Now I'm thinking about buying a ham from Gatton Farms or Broadbent's and hanging it in the pantry a few more months to maximize the funk.

I'm in Florida, so we don't have the kind of weather required for normal ham aging.

Does anyone here have authoritative info as to how long a ham can be aged before it gives up? I would like to hear from someone in Appalachia or maybe Spain if possible.

Hams these days don't give off much grease. The health Gestapo has ruined everything.

Good informative post. It appears going two years is not an issue, so the claims my mom made about Granny's hams must be true.

I think I'll get a sliced ham from Gatton Farms for now and also pick up a whole ham I can hang. Much easier than curing one from scratch.

Reactions: zwiller
It's interesting that the above-linked PDF says to use butcher paper. My grandmother used newspapers. I remember watching her peel them off.

Real country ham is a strange product. Very few people who were not raised on it understand it or like it. The complex stink of an old ham is wonderful from where I sit, but I haven't been able to get friends interested in it.

It's too bad it's so hard to get a ham with a lot of fat on it these days.

Fat has been bred out of pork in the effort to make it, "The other white meat", commercially. Find a source who raises heritage breeds and you have what you want.

Reactions: jcam222
Far as the newspaper wrapping, perhaps the ink contributed to the unique flavor.

It's disgusting what they did to pigs.
Chicken has been marketed as the leanest healthiest protein to consumers and following consumer demand, pork producers have bred leaner hogs to meet that demand to make it, "The other white meat". You can not like what has been done, but you can't fault the producers for giving consumers what they asked for either.

Reactions: 912smoker
It's interesting that the above-linked PDF says to use butcher paper. My grandmother used newspapers. I remember watching her peel them off.

Real country ham is a strange product. Very few people who were not raised on it understand it or like it. The complex stink of an old ham is wonderful from where I sit, but I haven't been able to get friends interested in it.

The problem is that it tastes like it smells lol - I've had it a couple of times here in SC. PHEW!!!!

I kid - to each their own!

What if it's actually very bad, and I can't tell because my mother brainwashed me?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky