Temps for smoked thighs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
Hey all, quick survey on preferences for thighs. I grill them often but haven’t smoked them too many times.

I can’t really find anything conclusive on a good temp to take them to. Obviously 165 is the answer from a food safety perspective, but is there a benefit taking them any higher?

Will be smoking some bbq thighs today, and some of them will be going on the pizza my wife is making from scratch. Going to be delicious.

Hah hah. Thanks all. I’ll shoot for 175 ish I think. Only one or two will be used on pizza, the rest will be for lunches this week. So that should be a good compromise between allowing for more cooking time and taking them a little above 165.

Definitely not worried about them drying out!

Agree with all. I've been taking thighs on the grill to 185 or so. Never dried out. When I do skinless, that's when I smoke them and still take to 180-185.

Hah hah. Thanks all. I’ll shoot for 175 ish I think. Only one or two will be used on pizza, the rest will be for lunches this week. So that should be a good compromise between allowing for more cooking time and taking them a little above 165.

Definitely not worried about them drying out!
pull the ones bound for the pizza first (post up pics of that) and leave the rest to reach the higher temps.

When I did drums a couple weeks ago, pulled at 165 before I got good advice from Chop and Jake to take them higher. They were done, good but the skins was not where it should be, I think the term chopsaw chopsaw used for the skin as "bite through"?

Agree with all. I've been taking thighs on the grill to 185 or so. Never dried out. When I do skinless, that's when I smoke them and still take to 180-185.
Yea I've kinda given up on smoking skin on thighs. I grill those. But love smoking boneless skinless thighs

pull the ones bound for the pizza first (post up pics of that) and leave the rest to reach the higher temps.

When I did drums a couple weeks ago, pulled at 165 before I got good advice from Chop and Jake to take them higher. They were done, good but the skins was not where it should be, I think the term chopsaw chopsaw used for the skin as "bite through"?
I will definitely post some pictures of the pizza. My wife makes amazing pizza, and some smoked bbq chicken will be real good as a topping.

Reactions: clifish
We just talked about it in another thread . I like 185 and all the way to 200 on legs and thighs .

If you're going to further cook some on a pizza , you might want to take that time into consideration .

I agree with Rich, but I really didn't know that until I got this Ninja Smart Grill. Now that it's easy to get it up to 180° & Better internal temp, I found I like it there & beyond, much better than at 165°.

Bear

My wife makes amazing pizza, and some smoked bbq chicken will be real good as a topping.
We had some store bought flat breads last night that my Daughter brought home . Fresh made , not frozen . They were really good . Anyway the one was Chicken Nacho . My gosh it was good . All the toppings from nachos , and big chunks of chicken . The crispy crust was like the chip .

Yup , make sure you post up that pizza and the thighs .

We had some store bought flat breads last night that my Daughter brought home . Fresh made , not frozen . They were really good . Anyway the one was Chicken Nacho . My gosh it was good . All the toppings from nachos , and big chunks of chicken . The crispy crust was like the chip .

Yup , make sure you post up that pizza and the thighs .
Just rubbed the thighs .. didn't quite make enough of the mix so it's a little sparse on the seasoning. I'm sure they'll still be good but the photos probably won't be much to look at.

My wife makes the pizza dough from scratch and has really got the recipe dialed in. I'll post pics later.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky