Temperature Control

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aussiepete

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
G'day everyone all the way from Australia.  I'm hoping someone out there can help me with an issue I'm having with temperature control.  I have a horizontal smoker, and I use charcoal as my fuel source.  The problem I'm having is an even burn in my firebox.  I light my initial pile of charcoal with a few firelighters spread about the pile which gets everything burning evenly, although after that's burned down and I add more charcoal I always end up with red hot coals right at the inlet/damper side of the firebox, and no red hot coals from the middle to the other side of the firebox.  I've tried getting in there and mixing the coals up to spread the hot ones around but it's only making a slight improvement to temperature.  I'm just starting out and have only used the smoker a few times, and have noticed the temperature doesn't want to sit (consistently) above any higher than 225, when I've been aiming for 250.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

cheers

Pete

welcome1.gif
   Glad to have you with us!

Are you using the intake vent to control your temp with?

Is the exhaust vent open 100%.

It sounds like your not getting enough air flow thru the firebox.

I've had the intake vent open 100% but the exhaust only open 50%.  I'll open the exhaust right up next time and see if there's any improvement.  Cheers for the tip!

Aussiepete,try making a charcoal basket out of expanded metal,about 10" in circumference and 8" to 10" high,add a bottom of the same stuff. Now raise the fire gird to appox. 4" off the bottom and leave the darn exhaust wide open (all the time).

Place have your coals you are going to use in the basket,light the others and when they are all white ash covered,pour them over the ones in the SFB.Close the door,open the INTAKE and adjust with that intake only! You must have patience, let the coals heat your Smoker and settle down to the temp. you want , then adjust intake in small increments to increase or decrease the temp.

You should be able to go up past 300*f if you want, the main thing is a wide open exhaust and PATIENCE .

If you leave the Smoker door closed while cooking,you won't lose heat and will cook more evenly(thermometers needed here),cook to temp. and control with ONLY the intake.

5a7b6dcd_015.jpg

I get good temps. from both my SFB Smokers by watching cooker temps. and the foods internal temp. Notice therms. on my pits-

Just be "Patient" and do your intake changes slowly and watch the temp. "Practice" fire control some and you will catch on soon....

Have a good day and....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky