Fire brick?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you happen build a basket that you just put on top of the grate you can rotate it and see which you like better. A large part to how it burns is your person fire tending techniques. These include the type of coals (wood based, charcoal, lump, brand, etc ), wood (type, size, placement, etc). IE there are many variables that can affect the "perfect" burn.

I think it will burn good either way. The cross-flow air is a nice option because you can adjust for natural wind direction..... IE you can operate only one side (left, right or both) if the wind is from a bad location.

I think I'm going to do exactly that to start. I will probably do like JckDanls 07 said and use all expanded metal to start with, then I can cut some solid peices to add in on different sides to experiment a bit.

Reactions: civilsmoker
OR, you could combine fire bricks and V basket into this!
It may not look like it but I can let my coal base burn down so low I can barely get the next stick to lite and yet the cook chamber temp stays between 225/240 for a long time..
I add wood when the chamber temp hits 240 so there's enough coal to kick off the next stick.
A small hand held blower is nice too.

Attachments

• IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1622.jpg
    IMG_1622.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That looks good. I think it would be difficult to implement for my firebox setup though.

I'm gonna go with the V basket for now and see how that works.

My existing rack is about 12 1/2" square. Would 6 inches for the bottom of the V be about right? With probably 4 inch tall sides?

I don't think I've mentioned yet, I'm using splits from start to finish.

Last edited:
Yup that will work.... just to note that is only about 1-inch different than what I drew above so looks good to me!! LOL

I have always had a hard time keeping a consistent temperature going on my Lang 36. I've been reading some posts on here and watched a couple of videos on fire management and I think I now know my problems.

First I've been using too large of splits for small smoker. That's and easy fix. But my other problem is not being able to keep a good bed of coals because I have been using the grate that came with the smoker and the hot ash and small coals just fall right through.

View attachment 691172
I'm thinking if I line the bottom of my firebox with firebrick and building the fire right on top of the brick that should solve that problem. Am I on the right track?

And would this be the correct type of firebrick to use?

I've run a Lang 36 Hybrid at least once a week for about 3 years now. For me the big flaw is the way the firebox undercuts the cook chamber. I've tried just about every configuration and have had the best luck with my current configuration for even and stable temps. I simply cut a piece of expanded metal to create two pieces that are 16"x9" if my memory is correct. I just place them on the bottom of the smoker floor in a v configuration and they kind of lock in together. I'll start it up with a little bit of charcoal and then place one or two moderate splits perpendicular to and as close to the door as possible. This keeps the flames away from the throat of the firebox. When I tried using the Lang grate it was too high and the natural draw would pull the flames under the baffle plate creating a bad hot spot. If I were to run an actual fire management basket I would make sure I could run it perpendicular to the door. I just haven't bothered because the simple expanded metal is cheap and easy to pull out for cleaning.

Reactions: racerjohnbf
yes that is correct on the angle and flat bar size. More than enough to last a long time!

Thanks I thought it looked pretty stout. What size expanded metal did you use? And do you still recommend 2 layer crossed?

I've run a Lang 36 Hybrid at least once a week for about 3 years now. For me the big flaw is the way the firebox undercuts the cook chamber. I've tried just about every configuration and have had the best luck with my current configuration for even and stable temps. I simply cut a piece of expanded metal to create two pieces that are 16"x9" if my memory is correct. I just place them on the bottom of the smoker floor in a v configuration and they kind of lock in together. I'll start it up with a little bit of charcoal and then place one or two moderate splits perpendicular to and as close to the door as possible. This keeps the flames away from the throat of the firebox. When I tried using the Lang grate it was too high and the natural draw would pull the flames under the baffle plate creating a bad hot spot. If I were to run an actual fire management basket I would make sure I could run it perpendicular to the door. I just haven't bothered because the simple expanded metal is cheap and easy to pull out for cleaning.

Thanks for chiming in, it's always good to hear the experience of someone using the same smoker. I have definitely noticed the hot spot you mention. I only really use 2/3 to 3/4 of available grate space because of that. I will try to design my basket so it can go in either way.

Just a single layer of 3/4" Flattened Expanded Metal (#9) in the bottom of the basket... Make it so it is in the opposite direction of the grate on the fire rack... Doubled up in the basket would be three layers after setting it on the fire grate ...

Just a single layer of 3/4" Flattened Expanded Metal (#9) in the bottom of the basket... Make it so it is in the opposite direction of the grate on the fire rack... Doubled up in the basket would be three layers after setting it on the fire grate ...
Thanks!

I have always had a hard time keeping a consistent temperature going on my Lang 36. I've been reading some posts on here and watched a couple of videos on fire management and I think I now know my problems.

First I've been using too large of splits for small smoker. That's and easy fix. But my other problem is not being able to keep a good bed of coals because I have been using the grate that came with the smoker and the hot ash and small coals just fall right through.

View attachment 691172
I'm thinking if I line the bottom of my firebox with firebrick and building the fire right on top of the brick that should solve that problem. Am I on the right track?

And would this be the correct type of firebrick to use?

I use 1/2" expanded metal on my regular bbq grill tops because veggies fall through the regular grates. I'll post a pic of my propane grill with that size of expanded metal on it. I use the same for my charcoal grill top. I just bought an old brinkmann offset that has regular grill grate tops in the firebox. Same thing happened. Coals passed through and sat under the grates. I'll be adding the same 1/2" size expanded metal to the brinkman firebox. I'm sure it would work for you in the firebox. You could simply cut it to size and lay it right over the old grate. I bought the piece on feebay. It was cheaper than the brick and mortar stores. Put a carbide blade on my 7-1/4" skilsaw and cut it to fit. Faster than a grinder. Grinder will work of course. Just an idea. You probably already know but make sure it's steel and not galvanized.

Attachments

• 20230815_202641.jpg
    20230815_202641.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230815_202759.jpg
    20230815_202759.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 4
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky