Southern Pride VS Friedrich need opinions please...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jerryd

Original poster
May 30, 2016
Hello and thanks for reading...

Plain and simple, I am looking for opinions on using either a Southern Pride SC-200 digital electronic control smoker -OR- a Friedrich FMP50 analog knob self cleaning smoker at my house for weekend use. I want the electric convenience over wood fired.

I live in the N. East  and plan on leaving this outside year round. It will be covered in the summer and blanket wrapped for the winter when not in use. I want a stainless unit because I am done with Masterbuilt issues of cracking plastic and rust. The 30" is also too small on many occasions. The two I am mentioning above are bigger than I need but can be found used, under the $2500 budget I have.

I want electric and stainless in and out and that includes stainless racks, chip boxes, trays, shelves, etc. I like the digital controls of the SC-200 but I like the self cleaning of the FMP50.

With my current Masterbuilt, if I don't clean it thoroughly, the same day, it becomes a rancid box overnight. Hosing with water while hot, not good enough. Hosing with hot water, not good enough. Using a grill cleaner and scrub brush with hot water is the only thing that works and it sucks to have to do it on the same day and it makes a huge mess.

I am assuming that a stainless interior will make a big difference in cleaning.

Others have chrome plated racks and shelves or are too expensive.

Any insight, experience, help, advice or anything will be appreciated...

I've had 3 MES Units:

I sold the MES 30, because I wanted the bigger MES 40, with the window & remote.

I bought the MES 40, and have it for 7 years. It still works fine.

I now have a second MES 40 for 2 years, and it works fine too.

None of them have gotten any "Broken Plastic" parts, and ZERO Rust on any of them.

I keep them on my Front porch, and keep a cover on when not in use.

I would never use a hose on anything electric, and I wouldn't use it in the rain.

As for cleaning, all that needs cleaning is the grill racks that touch the meat, and I keep my Door Window clean too.

The rest is only occasionally cleaned, such as changing the foil on the floor & on the water pan, and wiping anything loose on the ceiling & walls that might fall off onto the food. I also clean the 2 sensors on the inside back wall to keep the heat working properly.

That's about it. 

Hope that helps.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky