"Sous Vide" Discussion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Update from my recent Chuck Cooks

Sorry for the blurry pics
  • Well I used the chuck for the only thing I like with this piece of meat, for me...it is worth the extra time doing a SousVide cook just for stew

• Made a loaf of Pepperoni, Smoked provolone for the side.
  • I used all the trimmings and chuck from my last few Sous Vide cooks. All the trimmings went into the crock for 24 hours then the fat was ladled off, strained through a course strainer then a fine strainer, added back to the pot with gravy from the previous chucks.
  • Picked through the meat and shredded the trimmings to thicken the stew.
  • Added Carrots, Celery stalks, celery leaves, Peas, Onion, Crisped Bacon, butter, soy, sweet vermouth and cooked for a few hours.
  • My wife says, "that covers most of your food groups, Grain, Vegetable, Protein, then she joked and said, "all but dessert"......
    devil.gif
  • She should have never said that....
  • Chopped a cup of chunked pineapples and tossed them in there.
  • I mentioned to one of the parents in a picture text that I was bringing the boys a hot meal and told him what I was making, he replied, "hey beer is in the food group" (I think I covered this with the vermouth...
    banana_smiley.gif
    )
  • Cooked some Barley in water, beef bullion and soy sauce just shy of the suggested cook time by 15 minutes then added to the stew.
  • Added some beef base powder, teaspoon of black pepper, a few dashes of hot sauce, tablespoon of fresh crushed garlic.
  • Chopped and added the SV chuck and top round to the stew, cooked a few hours.
  • Peeled and added the potatoes, cooked another hour, Thickened with a bit of Corn Starch then into the freezer.
This is a stew I am making for the Boys on their Klondike this weekend It's pretty dam good, it passed the wife test and I'm sure the boys will appreciate a hot bowl of stew in below 20 weather, although by Saturday its supposed to be in the upper 30's, this may be a muddy mess.
icon_eek.gif

So my sous vide weapon of choice is the Sansaire unit that I purchased on sale n November ..I have used it quite a bit since then with the prerequisite eggs , chicken , pork chops, baby back ribs ,turkey meat loafs and BEEF... Beef is where it shines ! I've done rib eyes , chuck roast , and brisket!! And I Ed used several diff vessels to cook in ,, stock pot , 10 gal pot I used for brewing and even an ice chest ! The i erosion cooker is fun addition to my cooking equipment and food a perfect compliment to my smoker ... My plan is to continue to experiment and just have fun !!

I have been running a home made SV rig for just over a year. It is very limited in what it can cook and how well it controls temps but it got me started for around $40 (I already had an extra crock pot). I get temp fluctuations of +/- 2 degrees which works for me. One day I will step up to an immersion circulator (or build my own using my existing controller).

Good thread!  It is difficult to over cook food using this method. I once did a pork loin and it was so tender you'd have sworn that it was tenderloin.  Fish also turns out perfectly cooked

I chose the Anova because it is portable enough to take with us in the RV, plus plenty stout enough to do the job for bigger parties. The other thing is that this company is the one that makes precision water baths for scientific research labs, so temperature maintenance is extremely precise.

One trick I use is to heat the water in a large metal pot on the stove which assists the unit in bringing the water to temperature.  This saves quite a bit of time, but you need to stay with the stove until the water reaches temperature and then shut off the stove. The aluminum foil ensures that I have minimal water loss.

This machine is super easy to use - set the time and temperature and you're off to the races.  One thing I like is that you practically cannot over cook, so if you have late guests, no problem - keep the steaks in the bath until you are ready. I've checked the water temperature using a digital instant read, and the numbers matched.

After the meat is done, I like to use the infrared sear burner on my gas grill to sear the steaks - very fast and does not overcook the meat

Cooked just the way we like it

I have looked at the Anova unit myself. Good looking plate of food!

I cook all our Pork Loins in the water bath, cooked 10 whole loins last weekend for an event. We then remove them, remove any excess fat then use a Propane torch to put some color on them!

The hot plate that I see forsale on TV wouldn`t it do the same thing ? The one that is temp controlled..

Last edited:

The hot plate that I see forsale on TV wouldn`t it do the same thing ? The one that is temp controlled..

Not sure if that would work, you would still need to circulate the water to keep even temps, if its cheap enough it may be worth a try.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky