Freezing Sous Vide Hamburgers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
oZsGQxn.jpg

I've been playing with sous vide hamburgers, using ring molds, and silicone weights in the bags. At 135° for 90 minutes, These are excellent, flavorful and so moist it's like eating a medium rare steak sandwich. Now I want to freeze some so I can simply thaw and sear.

My plan is to sous vide the patties, then flash chill in an ice bath until they drop in temp to 40°F. Then open the bag, remove the rings and the weight, then freeze the patties on a tray, and finally vacuum seal them two to a package.

For thawing I could either do a refrigerated thaw for a day, or reheat in the SV pot... then do a quick sear. Does anyone see any issues with my prep for freezing? I have full pasteurization before the ice bath, and I won't be opening the bag until the patties are chilled to 40°F. Here is what they look like during the sear.
g8bxYtZ.jpg

I do that for steaks (filet mignon) when camping. SV to med rare, remove from sv bath, into ice bath, then freezer. Reheat on grill and perfect med rare steaks camping. Campers around us always compliment the amazing smells coming from our grill.

Reactions: JLeonard
I do that for steaks (filet mignon) when camping. SV to med rare, remove from sv bath, into ice bath, then freezer
But are you getting into the bag, or freezing the entire bag after the ice bath. My concern is related to handling of the meat from chill down to freezer. I'm thinking I'm in the safe zone on both fronts.

I see no issues. I assume beef?
So far all beef. But pork, lamb or even sausage would not be out of the question. I'm just happy I can stay away from the typical 156° internal temps. These rings are for 6 ounce patties. But they also sell 8 ounce rings which would be great for making hamburger steaks, or adding some egg and filler to make more of a meatloaf mixture.

But are you getting into the bag, or freezing the entire bag after the ice bath. My concern is related to handling of the meat from chill down to freezer. I'm thinking I'm in the safe zone on both fronts.

Sv directly into ice bath, then freezer. I never open the bag until I'm ready to finish/grill. Even when I worked in a few fancy restaurants, we did many dinners SV style, then finish in a pan. Any items we didn't serve that night (no fish, just pork/beef) we would ice bath immediately, into reach-in (cooler). Then reheat for lunch specials. Sv bath is set 5* cooler than cooking sv temps. Then finish/sear in a pan. Plate and serve.

Fish doesn't hold well, pork, beef works perfectly.

So far all beef. But pork, lamb or even sausage would not be out of the question. I'm just happy I can stay away from the typical 156° internal temps. These rings are for 6 ounce patties. But they also sell 8 ounce rings which would be great for making hamburger steaks, or adding some egg and filler to make more of a meatloaf mixture.
Pasteurization is incredible and a great thing to understand. Stay within the tables and it’s a new dining experience. It’s safe even with ground beef. A log 7 that’s intended for chicken is the best to follow safety wise but a log 5 is really good enough.

It's fine. Baldwin's pastuerization SV chart for beef, lamb and pork is a 6.5D log reduction for a 3.1 million to one reduction in Salmonella, 1,000,000 to one for Listeria and 100,000 to for E Coli. Since it's pasteurized you can cool in the original vac bag in the fridge in ice water quickly and can keep in the unopened original vac bag 28 days in a 37F fridge before eating or freezing. Once you open original bag you're back to 7 days etc to eat or freeze.
Screenshot_20220728-175444_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230804-104803_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230804-104832_Chrome.jpg

THANKS for this. Ran some brat burgers in the SV and liked the results but appearance to a big hit. Your process is pretty much how I do most of SV. I never eat the SV run same day and most always go into the freezer. I can pull a chuckie out I ran for 2 days now at a moments notice. What rings are those? Muffin rings?

Reactions: dr k
What rings are those? Muffin rings?
They are Sous-la-Vide brand Perfect Hamburger/Burger Immersion Cooking Rings. I found them on Amazon. Mine are the 1/3 pound size (4.25" inside diameter), they also have 1/2 pound size which are taller. One takeaway, they can't be used in a skillet or oven like silicone rings can.

I seasoned with Montreal Steak, then brushed on a mix of AuJus and HC Marinade.
l6cTlt3.jpg

VhwLR4C.jpg

It's fine. Baldwin's pastuerization SV chart for beef, lamb and pork is a 6.5D log reduction for a 3.1 million to one reduction in Salmonella, 1,000,000 to one for Listeria and 100,000 to for E Coli.
There are some similar charts (link below) for 'non intact' meats, so I'm guessing this means things like stew meat and hamburger?

I used to do bone in chx thighs SV, then reverse sear. They were good but I always thought I lost a lot of juices going straight from water bath to grill. Now I season and SV one day, then cool and into the fridge or freezer. I grill from the fridge and it seems like they are juicier. It also seems way more convenient.

There are some similar charts (link below) for 'non intact' meats, so I'm guessing this means things like stew meat and hamburger?

This will be fine since it's a 5D log drop in E coli from 100,000 to 1. In the chart above. Yes we are over cooking our food and getting sick from bad practices in the kicken. Not from under cooking. Grilling is heating but the math on temp and duration is done for us with pasterization on temp an duration with SV. Since water is 800xs more dense with water and 28xs the thermal conduction of air. Follow the chart above with SV.

Reactions: zwiller
Honestly I had better luck cooking my burgers and getting them the way I want them then vac sealing and freezing them. Then I sousvide when ready to eat.

This works great with pulled pork and brisket as well.

Steak and chicken I still find works better to season and freeze then sous vide when ready to eat then sear off.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky