"Sous Vide" Discussion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Its funny I ran across this post because I have been looking at these units the past week...really interested in this type cooking..

Roller, over the years I have built many sous vide controllers  and systems from deep fryers, crock pots, roasting ovens and even a turkey fryer.

The main thing I have found that the home brew tend to lack the circulation and that is critical for good temperature regulation. Most of the systems tended to build up a lot of calcium on the elements and submersible pumps that I used. ( And I live in Oregon which is on the soft side of hard water.)

Finally I got the Anova expecting to have to clean it after each use to prevent the build up. But I don't have to disassemble and clean very often.

The cooking hobs do a reasonable temperature control and could be used to experiment with long term low temp cooking, however they adjust in either 10 or 20 degree steps. For things like eggs 1/2 degree makes a large difference. The hob would be like those fellows who do sous vide in a cooler by pouring hot water in when the temp starts to get low.

GeneK

GeneK, evening....  I've got fairly hard water here....   Sometimes I use distilled water but mostly I add 1 tsp. vinegar to the water...  that's in about 2 gallons...   seems it's enough to stop the "calcium / sulfates" buildup....

Roller, over the years I have built many sous vide controllers  and systems from deep fryers, crock pots, roasting ovens and even a turkey fryer.

The main thing I have found that the home brew tend to lack the circulation and that is critical for good temperature regulation. Most of the systems tended to build up a lot of calcium on the elements and submersible pumps that I used. ( And I live in Oregon which is on the soft side of hard water.)

Finally I got the Anova expecting to have to clean it after each use to prevent the build up. But I don't have to disassemble and clean very often.

The cooking hobs do a reasonable temperature control and could be used to experiment with long term low temp cooking, however they adjust in either 10 or 20 degree steps. For things like eggs 1/2 degree makes a large difference. The hob would be like those fellows who do sous vide in a cooler by pouring hot water in when the temp starts to get low.

GeneK
Gene, I am curious about the submersible pumps getting a build up, does that have to do with the heat along with the hard water?

I have a 2 large fish tanks and two ponds and never had the slightest buildup, some of these pumps have been running non-stop for 5 years, I also had an inline pump running a hydroponcs setup with no problem and used a mini aquarium pump for my first sous vide machine with no problem??

Just an FYI for folks using aquarium pumps or powerheads to circulate the water, 170 - 180° is pushing it, so if you do veggies, be careful of the temp.

Its funny I ran across this post because I have been looking at these units the past week...really interested in this type cooking..
Roller, if you want to try this at a low cost look into a temp controller build, here's one that I use sometimes.

Temperature Controller

This has a 3°F temp swing and a nice way to get your feet wet.

I have done steaks a few times now in a pot of water using both my Amerique and gas stove. Seems to be working well but I would imagine the proper equipment would be easier. Until then though, I have not had a problem with the steaks.

T

SQWIB, sorry I didn't get back sooner but life keeps getting in the way. I think the build up is caused by the sensor being too far from the element allowing the water on the heating element to actually boil and distill the solids out and let them collect on various parts of the system. The Anova seems to have three sensors with two directly coupled physically to the heating element. The third is spaced out a ways and I'm sure it is the master for the water temp and the others to prevent the element over heating.

GeneK

SQWIB, sorry I didn't get back sooner but life keeps getting in the way. I think the build up is caused by the sensor being too far from the element allowing the water on the heating element to actually boil and distill the solids out and let them collect on various parts of the system. The Anova seems to have three sensors with two directly coupled physically to the heating element. The third is spaced out a ways and I'm sure it is the master for the water temp and the others to prevent the element over heating.

GeneK
That is very interesting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky