Soaking Wood Chips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

retto

Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Is there any benefit from soaking wood chips in anything other than water? I know there's some debate as to whether adding juice, spices etc... to the water pan really flavors the meat, but what about the wood?

Well there is one difference, soaking them will add humidity to the smoker, more humidity, better smoke ring. When I stopped soaking in my little smoker, my smoke ring went almost completely bye-bye even though flavor was still excellent. Other than that, it just causes the wood to take longer to smolder (in my electric).

BTW Rhetto, below is a link to a recent thread (which has a link to another thread also) You should be able to get some info from those two threads, just different philosophies...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=13663

It's been discussed many times on here, which is I'm sure why Mike said about "here we go again". As a new person to the blog, take some time and go through the forums...you might have pressing questions about different smoking techniques, many have been answered quite a few times here, still, don't be afraid to ask!!! It's what we do best here, helping the new guys!

Did you guys even read his post? He's not asking whether or not chips should be soaked, but rather IF you do choose to soak them, does soaking them in something other than water will have an effect on the flavor of the meat (or whatever you're smoking).

I have no idea on the answer, but it seemed like everyone was just jumping on the "here we go again" wagon...

Actually, I was trying to say quite the opposite of "here we go again" by offering him my opinion on the wood and then some links to other responses in other threads. I really only saw Mike's here we go again and didn't think that a new guy should have gotten that response...I didn't post for anything other that to provide information for retta...

LOL... sorry Shell, seems I was guilty of the same thing I was complaining about. I only skimmed your second post and saw that you pointed to a thread that just discussed whether or not chips should be soaked. My fault.

Anyway... so back to the question at hand... does using something OTHER than water to soak chips affect flavor?

Some will say yes, some no. The only solution is to try both ways for yourself. The best part of the experiment is that you can eat both methods, they will both be great!

It would make since that it may change the flavor, don't you use different types of wood to get different flavors. When you soak your chips does it or does it not change the wood. I usually soak only in water but occasionally I will buy the Jack Daniels wood chips and you can taste JD in meat.

As the wood combusts, surely there will be SOMETHING imparted to the smoke. Don't soak them in tar. Or gas. Sugar based stuff will give a caramel or burnt sugar flavor. I have used black peppercorns to some success. But remember the flavor won't be what you put on them it will be what you put on them burnt. Perhaps some of the aromatics.

This is great. Good to get some info but I agree somethings you'll just have to try for yourself. I am pretty new but my guess would be it depends on the person. Everyones palate is different. Some like it hotter, some like it smokier, some may be able to taste the effects from different soaking agents and some not but the good thing is, as Ron said it will be a good experiment both ways.

Rich, I think you have watched too many episodes of Good Eats (or maybe you are related to Alton Brown or Clark Griswold).
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I have a heavy bent toward the science end of things. Cooking of any sort is really just applied chemistry. Applied meaning results may vary a bit in practice, and therein lies the art. I have just finished reading "On Food and Cooking" by Harold McGee- probably an inspiration of Alton's. Check it out.

And Griswold was a hack ;{)

This might be something worth trying....normally I don't soak my wood in anything, but maybe I will try soaking in rum or jd and then let them dry some then smoke with them...........

The answer to your question is it will add something, otherwise using wood from whiskey/rum barrels would not be popular. I know someone who soaks his wood in very aromatic wines.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky