Side gigs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevinwi

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 8, 2014
Stevens Point, WI
Anyone here in WI that does side gigs with their pit? I'd like to do it...nothing extreme....just party's, graduations, etc. I am wondering what legal hoops you have to jump through to do it legally.
Honestly I was thinking about renting me and my pit out to people (I supply me, my pit, wood and spices) and they buy the meat and sides for me to cook and supply their own plates, etc.
I'm not interested in catering. Just hauling my pit for a day gig. I've done some for family and friends and it's been fun.....but I'm worried about running afoul of the law. Too much licensing expense and it won't be worth my time.

If memory serves me correctly (We all know the the rememory is a terrible thing)... I remember reading something about just you and your equipment was no big deal... When you start providing the protein and others is where it gets into the liabilty game...

There was/is a thread from awhile ago here about it...

Not sure about WI, but I think some places you just need a permit from the town or county in order to sell your services. But don't quote me on that.

Anyone here in WI that does side gigs with their pit? I'd like to do it...nothing extreme....just party's, graduations, etc. I am wondering what legal hoops you have to jump through to do it legally.
Honestly I was thinking about renting me and my pit out to people (I supply me, my pit, wood and spices) and they buy the meat and sides for me to cook and supply their own plates, etc.
I'm not interested in catering. Just hauling my pit for a day gig. I've done some for family and friends and it's been fun.....but I'm worried about running afoul of the law. Too much licensing expense and it won't be worth my time.
Every state is a bit different with local food laws. That said, if you are cooking privately and they supply the meat, the prep etc, it’s not a big issue, but once you start preparing the raw meat and cooking it, or trying to sell at large, the game changes big time. You would then need a current health inspection for refrigeration, prep space and in some cases the cooker, some states require NSF rated cookers only.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky