Smoking steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scsmoker843

Original poster
Dec 27, 2023
What all types for steaks turn out well in the MES. Would this be mainly for a grill,or works well in the smoker? Thanks

Reactions: JLeonard
I would say for best results do thick cuts minimum 1 1/2 to 2" or more. Smoke to within say 15-20F of your finish temp and then reverse sear on something screaming hot. Can be a grill, cast iron or even use a torch.
What you mean by reverse sear? I know what sear is but reverse. Sorry to be dumb I'm a newbie. Only used gas grill until recently.

Reactions: JLeonard
LOVE slow smoking a 2" thick ribeye to around 115 internal and then sear the crap out of it over HOT mesquite coals.

looks like most of us have the same ideas...
Definitely gonna try it. Is it tender out the smoker? How long does it normally take on 250 temp.

No burnt meat needed if you have a good salt/pepper or rub to put on, A sear is nothing more than burned spices and dry meat, a sear is over rated imo, it's good sometimes but not always needed. You can let the meat quality shine without the sear,

Did a “new to me” Tomahawk tonight. Rarly find them around here.
IMG_1054.jpeg

Little worchestershire and then laced it up with Holy Vodoo, bagged and fridge overnight.
On the RT 590 on low smoke (180-90*) for 2 hrs
IMG_1055.jpeg

Took to 115* and then reverse sear on a scorching hot Blackstone.
Off at 128* and let rest,climbed to 133*
IMG_1057.jpeg

IMG_1058.jpeg

Enjoy the smoke flavor on a thicker steak. Very tender.

What all types for steaks turn out well in the MES. Would this be mainly for a grill,or works well in the smoker? Thanks
Most any steak more than 1" thick will take well to a smoker if you can reverse sear afterwards. It adds a smoky flavor to the meat, and the sear helps to crisp up the surface and add a little bit of the grill flavor. Personally, I prefer just grilling, but give a try and decide for yourself.

The added flavor of a nicely smoked steak is a special treat. One thing I've found is to pull the steak (always 1 1/2") from the smoker and let it sit for a minimum of 5 minutes without heat, then put it on a very hot grill for the searing of both sides. Afterwards remove and let it rest for 5-7 minutes before slicing.

Reactions: jcam222
No burnt meat needed if you have a good salt/pepper or rub to put on, A sear is nothing more than burned spices and dry meat, a sear is over rated imo, it's good sometimes but not always needed. You can let the meat quality shine without the sear,
I dont always sear my steaks, depends on who im cooking for and how much time/libations I have.

I have a pit boss with the sear plate option i reverse sear all my steaks smoke first then sear ! Best option pit boss came out with!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky