Need help on brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grabber

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 3, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Hopefully everybody's doing well. Need some help with brisket. Full brisket is too much meat for my needs. Anybody see a problem with me cutting it in 1/2 and smoking it that way. This is my first attempt and want to do it right, and not have it turn out as leather. Thanks in advance. Be safe. Any input appreciated.

I've been cross cutting them and smoking the point end . Save the flat for other stuff , like crock pot roast beef or instant pot taco meat .
This one was a fast cook . Pellet grill / oven finish .
20230304_185612.jpg
20230305_163221.jpg
20230305_183932.jpg

If you have a vacuum sealer I'd recommend cooking it whole. If not you can separate the flat from the point, or even slice it right down the middle. I've never sliced it down the middle but have seen some folks do it that way. If it were me and I absolutely had to make it smaller. Then I would separate the flat from the point.

Chris

I'll echo what's been said, best to separate the point/flat.

I find brisket reheats really well. I'll smoke the whole thing, slice the leftovers, vac seal, and freeze.
Reheat in the sous vide and it's almost like fresh.
Same here. Once in awhile, when I buy a packer, I will separate the point and flat, cut the flat in half, freeze and smoke each half and then use the point for burgers.

Now I'm hungry and my stuff won't be out of storage until next week. :emoji_disappointed:

There are only two of us here but I still smoke whole packers. The extra gets portioned, vac sealed then frozen. One of our most favorite things is smoked brisket chili. Nothing goes to waste. 😎

Reactions: gmc2003
There are only two of us here but I still smoke whole packers. The extra gets portioned, vac sealed then frozen. One of our most favorite things is smoked brisket chili. Nothing goes to waste. 😎
Or hash!!!!

Chris

Reactions: schlotz
Not for me .
Im with you, I wouldn’t separate. I would vacuum seal in smaller pieces and use that for samis, chili, tacos, more brisket dinners when you just want the goodness without the time investment. Vacuum sealed smoked meats are money in the bank!

Reactions: DemonPit
I've been cross cutting them and smoking the point end . Save the flat for other stuff , like crock pot roast beef or instant pot taco meat .
This one was a fast cook . Pellet grill / oven finish .
View attachment 686907
View attachment 686908
View attachment 686909
Chopsaw, that's one fabulous looking point. I cook on a stick burner but am extremely curious how long you cooked the point. I have never separated the packer but would love to try just the point to see how much time it would cut down versus smoking the whole brisket.

that's one fabulous looking point. I cook on a stick burner but am extremely curious how long you cooked the point. I have never separated the packer but would love to try just the point to see how much time it would cut down versus smoking the whole brisket.
That's the point end . It's a whole packer cross cut in the middle . I usually do them whole , but started doing it like this , and using the flat for roast beef or tacos .

Not sure on how long . It's always different because sometimes I " force finish " them in the oven if needed .
I'm thinking it's not a big difference in time on the smoker start to finish .

Reactions: Creosote
Smoke at a fairly low temp (220 or so) for a few hrs until the IT of the point reaches 140-150. Remove from smoker, slice off flat extending beyond point, and cube for burnt ends. Wrap in appropriate foil pan with some jus. Wrap the same way with the Remaining point-flat segment. Cook at 275-350 tightly foiled until point-flank reaches 180. Turn smoker down to 140f and hold for 12-24 hrs. Glaze the burnt ends as usual, seperate the point and flat, and slice across the grain.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky