Smoking my first Turkey this year...got lots of questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

korpellakitchen

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
I appreciate everything I have learned on this forum. This is simply the #1 resource I have found online as forums go that is the most like camolot, No one judges, just gives some great advise and tips. Because of you, my family and friends think that I am a smoked meat genius.

With all that said, I have a couple of questions:

Has anyone tried a buttermilk brine for smoking? Does anyone have a good recipe? I have heard alot of good things when it comes to roasting a buttermilk brined turkey. Thoughts.

Also I have been hit/miss when it comes to crispy skin on smoked chicken. I am guessing I just need a hotter fire, how long per pound should I expect to cook at say 300-325?

Thanks again

I have tried a buttermilk brine before for smoking a whole bird and it had no noticeable effect on the flavor.  I can tell you times and temps I do and maybe it will help and maybe it won't.  I do my whole poultry at lower 230ish temps because I just pull the meat to serve so I don't care if the skin is tough and I've never had a 12-14 pound turkey take over 8 hours and yes they all got above 140 within 4 hours.

I am in the same boat as you doing my first thanksgiving turkey. I have read a couple people smoking at a higher temp (275-300) for aprox last 30-45mins to give it a crisp skin. Good Luck on the turkey !!!

300-325*F in a smoker is the same timing as roasting in an oven of the same temp, about 30 Min/Lb for an Unstuffed bird...JJ  

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky