Smoking in the rain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TominLeesburg

Original poster
Nov 19, 2017
Florida
Suppose to rain tomorrow with possible thunderstorms, what kind of adjustment do I need to make for our Turkey? Details: 15 1/4# (smallest I could find), maple syrup with salt water brine with original rub rinsing and adding maple syrup and original rub. Fairly new to smoking, never in the rain and new to this forum. Thanks for all the help.

I don't think rain is a concern as much as wind and temperature and the type of smoker. My first smoker needed welding blankets on cold windy days to maintain 225F. My MES40 2.5 works well in any weather.

Thanks for the quick reply. Not worried about temps, low to mid 70's with east wind 5-10 and I will be on the west side of the house so I should be ok.

What kind of smoker do you have?
If it's electric, you certainly wouldn't want to get it rained on.
Al

Not electric for sure, may be dumb but not stupid. :) Now that I have the bird in the smoker, Masterbuilt Propane Gas Smokehouse, do I use the water pan or not. I have read all kinds of of reviews, trick, tips etc and it is 50- 50 on this subject?

Update: Sorry for the late post update. It did rain but not all day but the turkey turned out just great and actually faster than recommended times. The wife and neighbors were impressed with the taste and moisture and I honestly think this is the best turkey I have ever had. My first smoked turkey and will not be my last.

Reactions: entourageguy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky