Smoking chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Raheeb

Original poster
Aug 26, 2018
hi all am new here have southern pride smoker and tried to smoke chicken for 4 hours using Apple logs the only thing that the skin is so tough and not crispy any idea to have a crispy skin
Thanks

Not sure what model you have, but you don't really need to smoke chicken that long..and I'd hazard a guess you won't ever get the smoker hot enough to crisp the skin. Either run it a hot grill quick/oven or blowtorch it to crisp the skin.

Unless your smoker goes over 325, you will not get crisp skin with the smoker alone. Smoke to an IT of 150, in the thigh, then finish over a higher heat source set to 425 or higher...JJ

Reactions: Sal Barsanti
Yep high temp for the skin,also at 225-250 4 hrs is pretty normal on my MES ,southern makes a great smoker with a wide range on temps depending on the model ,I have used a friends Southern pride but always at 225 with hickory that was propane fired with hickory logs in the burn chamber.

Unless your smoker goes over 325, you will not get crisp skin with the smoker alone. Smoke to an IT of 150, in the thigh, then finish over a higher heat source set to 425 or higher...JJ
Yup. That's how I do it. I don't even check IT. I just blast a spatchcocked bird for 1.5-2.0 hrs at 225. Then blast it at 425 untill crisp. Best roast chicken ever!

Reactions: Sal Barsanti
We generally don't eat the skin, except with wings. So I like to smoke my chickens & turkeys at 225 - 250 spatchcocked in a pan with some chicken stock, onions, celery, carrots, & garlic. I also like to inject them with Tony C's cajun butter marinade, and dust them with Montreal chicken seasoning. That's how we like them, so you may want to give it a try. Chicken is cheap & a perfect food to experiment with.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky