Smoking chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi Al,

may I ask you to post some details on how you do beer can chicken, temperature, time, rub etc?

I am newbie and looking to start my first smoking cook out with chicken :)

Thanks in advance

Hi Al,

may I ask you to post some details on how you do beer can chicken, temperature, time, rub etc?

I am newbie and looking to start my first smoking cook out with chicken :)

Thanks in advance

First off for a rub I use EVOO & Montreal chicken seasoning. Under & on top of the skin. If your smoker will run above 300 degrees that's what I would do, 300-325. You will get a crispy skin at that temp and depending on the size it will only take a couple of hours. If it won't run that high, then 225 until it gets around 150 or so then stick it in a 400 degree oven for the remainder of the cook for crispy skin, or you could do the healthy thing & just pitch the skin, or use it with the carcass & boil it  down for stock. You want to cook it until the breast is 165 & the thigh is 175. Also I drink half the beer & put a couple of tablespoons of Montreal in the can. I stand the chicken up in an aluminum pan & baste it with the pan juice every 30-45 minutes. Hope this helps.

I have done both beer can and spatchcock.  Both work great.  I would follow SmokinAl's directions.  They on point.  If you smoker is big enough just do both.  I do however brine either way.

I would like to try this brine

Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine By Tip Piper of Hillbilly Vittles

1 ½ Gal Water

½ C Salt - Kosher

½ C Dark Brown Sugar

2 tsp Garlic Powder

2 tsp Onion Powder

2 tsp Cajun Spice (Louisiana Cajun Seasoning)

2 tsp Celery Seed

anyone knows if the Cajun Seasoning should be with salt or without since there is 1 1/2 C of salt already?

Is water has to be cold or warm? do I expect for salt to dissolve? Can I brine in the pot or it must be in the bag?

Your printed recipe says only 1/2 cup of salt.  If it truly is 1 1/2 cups, that's still not too bad for 1 1/2 gallon of water.  It's really up to you, your tastes or limitations on salt.  I don't think 2 Tbsp Cajun would make that much difference, salted or unsalted.  

As far as water temp:  Warm water will help to dissolve the salt and other ingredients, but you should cool it to under 40 degrees before you put the bird in it.  Bag or bucket is also up to you.  I like to use a bucket with just enough to cover whatever I am brining.  I follow Pop's advice to put a Ziplock bag with water in it to hold the meat under the surface.  

Hope this helps.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky