Smoking chicken? Best parts of them to smoke and how did you like them?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Oldguy68

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
Cape Cod, MA
I have not smoked much chicken and I have over smoked it at times.
What parts do you all like to smoke.
As well as what did you use and what did you put on them?

Reactions: JLeonard
I pickle juice brine a lot of my chicken (wings, breast, thighs, quarters, drums) and run it on the kettle with the vortex. The pickle juice really helps. I guess any wet brine would do the same as the pickle juice.

Jim

Reactions: Oldguy68
I don't smoke chicken often, except when mama says to do so, so she can make Brunswick stew.
Wings we only do in the air frier. When I do she gets the whole thing. Rarely brine. Just use a rib rub with less sugar. stand it up whole and smoke with hickory/apple. 165thigh and breast.

beer chicken.jpg

I really like leg 1/4's, thighs are my favorite part but I like it all. rubbed and smoked about 5 hours depending on the size.

Thanks for all the replies!
Everything sounds awesome!

Going to have to try the chicken thighs. Never did those.
I have a whole slew of rubs in the cabinet and always have room for one more!
I used apple wood when I smoked chicken. Never thought about the other woods as not to have too strong a taste.

Meat Church Holy Voodoo

Last edited:
I pickle juice brine a lot of my chicken (wings, breast, thighs, quarters, drums) and run it on the kettle with the vortex. The pickle juice really helps. I guess any wet brine would do the same as the pickle juice.

Jim
Got to try pickle brine as well! Never did that before. Just looked up how to make it.
I have a Vortex. I just bought a FireDial Baffle Plate for my 22" Weber kettle.
I can't wait to try it!

FireDialbaffleplate.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
I cut boneless skinless breasts in half butterfly style and smoke them for 20 minutes at 250 with Applewood chips in my MES 40 for my dogs treats and chicken salad for us.

Hi there and welcome!

I prefer to do whole chickens, like 2 at a time. I also have a rack that can stand up 2 chickens at once.

I brine with Salt, water, and Cure#1. I'm basically spoiled on doing cure#1 chickens these days.

I season with Pepper, Onion, Garlic, and Paprika.

My reasoning? If i'm going to do 1 chicken I may as well do 2.
I debone them and put all the eat in a tub with a lid and eat on it all week in various dishes or just with bbq sauce.

Chicken parts with skin don't go long enough to get adequately edible skin for me.. HOWEVER, brined (and often cure#1) boneless skinless chicken breast come out great as there is no chicken skin and heat issues to worry about.

I usually do about 60% Hickory, 20% Cherry, 20% Maple for smoke. I love it! :D

I've done a few birds on the smoker and loved it every time. I've only done whole chickens but halved. I've done 24hr marinades (buttermilk (24hrs MAX!), or oil based), dry rubs, and injections. My favorite is the buttermilk soaked for 20hrs, smoked at 250f for about 4hrs (170it).

I do a lot of chickens . All kinds of different ways . Whole birds are the way to go in my opinion .
Injected and soaked overnight in Pop's brine . Spun over charcoal and peach chunks .
20220327_165016.jpg
Leg 1/4's on the SmokeFire with apple pellets and peach jam glaze .
20230620_173819.jpg
Some various parts done on the SmokeFire .
leg 1/4's and wings . Just black pepper because they were brined .
20221023_175355.jpg
Thighs with a mustard sauce glaze .
20230522_150349.jpg
This is how I serve the whole birds . This was spun over a wood fire .
Debone the breast and cross cut on the right . Legs and wings on the left , and pulled thigh meat in the middle .
20230831_175426.jpg

Chopsaw those look awesome!
Just ordered the Weber rotisserie from Amazon.
They had a good sale on the Weber brand one.
I got a bad feeling it's going to be a long winter!
Thanks for the pics and info!
Pete

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
Thanks . One thing I didn't mention . I get my chicken cooked . Higher heat , just depends on what I'm using . Most times I don't even flip the parts . Skin is roasted and tender .
I like to use Pop's brine on chicken with added lemon extract . I inject and soak .
1 gallon water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 TBLS cure 1
1 tsp lemon extract .
I inject everything . Wings , legs , thighs . All of it . Whole or cut into parts , injected and soaked . Overnight is good for me , so it's not fully cured . One reason why I cook at higher temps and get it done . Using the kettle I add wood chunks , pellet grill I run smoke boost to start the raise the temp to finish .

Thank you again Chopsaw for the additional info.
I figure with the kettle,I would use the snake method with charcoal briquettes.
With that FireDial baffle plate in to help distribute the heat better and put a drip pan with water and a large chopped onion.
I should be able to control temps better and a long even cook.
I have a couple charcoal baskets if it doesn't work out.
I keep some maple, apple, peach, cherry, post oak, hickory, pecan, and mesquite wood chunks on hand.
Can never have enough smoking wood choices.
I have an injector and just ordered the #1 curing salt.
Go to get some lemon extract.
Can't wait to do a whole chicken and a turkey.
I've done a beer can chicken and my wife loved it.
Thanks for all the info!
Pete

Last edited:
Thank you again Chopsaw for the additional inf
sawhorseray sawhorseray Ray turned me onto spinning with the lid off . He has some really nice cooks with his . Works great for warmer weather . Watch your fire size when starting out . Easy to get it to hot .
Love the spinner . I have the Only fire dual purpose . Has the pizza oven door on it . Also has an upper rack position .
You'll love that spinner , they run in the winter time too . Lol .
20220319_181040.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky