SMOKER CLEANING

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If I clean a smoker and let it sit, I'll get mold, but if I leave it dirty and wait to clean it right before I do my next smoke, no mold., SSo, just drain out the fluids and leave it dirty until right before you next cook. Or, clean it good then fire it up and cook it empty for a few hours at high temp. But then you have to be careful of rust.

I live in the damp Pacific NW and to make matters worse for mold, I have waterfront property on Puget Sound.  If I dont use either my kettle or smoker (WSM) often, I am fighting mold.  Even though I think that I have them clean, after sitting over the winter, I find mold every where.  Any thought on how to eliminate or reduce the problem???

Smoke more often! LOL...not sure with the humidity that you can do anything about it. I work in the lumber industry near the Gulf Coast and we fight it constantly.

Even though I clean mine after each use, when it dries I spray a little cooking oil on my grates to prevent the rust. When I get ready to smoke I usually use my weed burner to start my fire, so I go over my grates and the inside of the CC, Helps in the warming up process too. But gets rid of anything that I missed or got into there afterwards. I am one of those guys who does everything the same way each time, (easier for me that way) I am not saying my way is the only way or the best way, just works for me and I start with a clean smoker each time. Been smoking for 35 plus years and have not had anyone sick yet, except maybe form eating too much.

Gary

Beat that dead horse to death again, on to bigger and better things

Gary

I definitely belive in cleaning my smoker atleast before or after each cook. Unless I am cooking for days straight. After brushing the grates I remove them and scrape out anything that may be left behind. The steam clean with plain water from the hose. I also sweep out the rd baffle plate. Keep posted as I would like to make a video of how I clean my rf smoker.

You do it drinking beer, that's your choice.  I cannot drink beer, if I do, I am sick for several days.  I used to drink beer in my younger days, but over the past several years it has turned against me.  Any way, Rum and Coke tastes better. 

My smoker i clean the racks, water bowl and drip pan in the Sink, I take a bucket of warm soapy water to inside of smoker and door and window.  Cleans all the stuff off the walls that wet smoking leaves on them.
Rum and Coke? Well, it might taste better, but won't beat old fashion JD!!

32.gif

get yourself a cheap Rubbermaid knockoff container I got mine at walmart 10 bucks to throw racks, smoker chip and water tray in once your done if you cover them with hot water with some dawn soak overnight they clean off easily the next day. leave the walls alone the season like a good iron skillet.

OK, so, as a still relative newcomer to the world of smoking, I guess I've been a bit foolish.  After each smoke, I've tried to wipe down all the interior surfaces of my MES-30 with a damp rag (no chemicals of course!) and this has been royal, time-consuming pain in the pork butt.  Looks like I shouldn't have bothered based on this discussion.  I do still have a question though.  If there is this build-up of sticky, tarry, brownish yellow gunk on the inside of the smoker, isn't that creosote?  And isn't creosote really, really bad?  Or is creosote something else?

If you live in "bear country" like I do, the smell of meat smoke is a "no-no".  

Bears LOVE the smell of smoking meat and will travel miles to get to it.  
drool.gif

In fact, liquid smoke is often used in baiting bears so a word to the wise is "caution" when leaving your smokers un-attended.

I do not clean mine other than the racks and pans.  When not smoking something, it is stored inside a shed for "protection" from the elements and critters. 

I'm no expert, but I do have an electric smoker (a Smokin Tex 1400), and I leave the grease on there till it's time to do the next run. I figure it's like greasing parts you don't want to rust. And I'm going to clean it anyway before I put the food in there. I do clean my racks as soon as the smoking's done, and store them separately; drip pan, too.

Sorry phone acting up I gueas. I think smokers should be properly stored after each use. They should be treated like u r favorite cast iron skillet, rinse after use, let dry put away. Leave them where sun can shine on them and if it rains, make sure u dry it out . periodically take the cover off and let it get some fresh air. Re season annually

I live in the damp Pacific NW and to make matters worse for mold, I have waterfront property on Puget Sound.  If I dont use either my kettle or smoker (WSM) often, I am fighting mold.  Even though I think that I have them clean, after sitting over the winter, I find mold every where.  Any thought on how to eliminate or reduce the problem???
I am in the PNW too, with a Yoder pellet smoker, use at least once a week all year.

The ash will absorb moisture is acidic when wet. Clean out the ash with a shop vac. Line the smoke diverter with foil and a drip pan, change it often.

Clean the grill grates in the dish washer or self cleaning oven.

Wipe the inside with vegetable oil.

Invest in good covers and use them when not using the smokers. Can they be stored in the garage or basement when not in use.

The winter weather is not severe enough not to let them sit over the winter, use them often.

Last edited:
Cleaning racks after smoking is a bit of a problem.  They don't fit into my dishwasher (too big).  What do other use to wash them in?

I'm thinking of getting a used plastic barrel, cutting the end off (the end the barrels fill from) and making a vertical  "tank" that I can slip them down into, wash and then remove for the rinse.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky