Temp probe cleaning tip.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
A few weeks ago someone asked how to clean his digital probes once they are getting toasty.
I stumbled across the answer, it was right in front of my nose as my wife bought some and had been trying to get me to use it on our dirtiest casserole baking dishes.
I however have been insisting that my tried and true method (which by the way did not work all that well) of using hot water with dish wash liquid mixed in and letting things soak for 8 hours was the way to go.
Don't let her hear this, but I was WRONG!
Here's a photo essay with the answer at the end.
Soak in foam time is 5 minutes, no scrubbing other than one or two really stubborn bits that then come right off.
Stuff is a miracle.

Attachments

• IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1559.jpg
    IMG_1559.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1561.jpg
    IMG_1561.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 65
My wife buys that stuff, really does work. But Never tried it on my probes, showing how dumb I am I never even thought too. I will now though. Thanks for helping us dummies out😉

Yeah...Put me in the "I'll be danged" list......I use that on everything but my probes....Just never really thought about it. I will now though!

Jim

Yeah , that's good stuff . Use it on my weber grill tray .
20220320_215101.jpg
20220320_215052.jpg

C Chasdev glad you posted this . Reminds me I got those probe holder things you asked about . Now I need to remember where I put them .

Reactions: jaxgatorz
I just use a scrubby pad. Fold it around probe tip, slide back and forth while turning probe.
A little soap and water and done in a minute.
I do that when they get crusty, but if they're fairly clean, I just wipe them down with rubbing alcohol on a piece of paper towel.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I also use a Scotch Bright scrubby and Dawn on the probes, but I hold the probe just below the wire/probe junction and never let it get wet from scrubbing or rinsing. I like many others have destroyed probes by letting them get wet where the wire goes in. It is such a common problem, I have considered adding a little red high temp RTV to seal that transition area.

Reactions: TNJAKE
It must be the brand of probes I bought but I've been drowning mine in hot water and spraying them with hot water over and over and they all still read out just fine.
Frankly, I suspect these are made by the same outfit as the probes interchange.
Anyway, both sets of probes are completly waterproof.

Attachments

• IMG_1567.jpg
    IMG_1567.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 19
It must be the brand of probes I bought but I've been drowning mine in hot water and spraying them with hot water over and over and they all still read out just fine.
If you have the probes where the wire come out but the end is just crimped with a little bit of plastic around it, they can fail from water intrusion. That is what my maverick has. You have to hold it in such a way that the water runs away from the probe.

My Inkbird I’m not as sure as they have a knurled metal piece over the end. I still clean them that way though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 801driver
Another great product that I use for cleaning up power saws and such but works on probes is SuperClean Cleaner Degreaser

Reactions: Winterrider
I do that when they get crusty, but if they're fairly clean, I just wipe them down with rubbing alcohol on a piece of paper towel.
For me, they always seem to be a little crusty right where the probe is at the surface of the meat or bread.

================================================================

Thermoworks has come out with some new probes (silicone coated I think) that are waterproof.
I have purchased several of those, but still don't put them in water (It's the glass half empty part of me).

I do wipe the cable down with damp paper towel though.
Something I wouldn't do with metal braided ones.

Reactions: 801driver
I use alcohol prep pads, always handy in my TPen case. I’ve got another fistful in with my wired probes. I found if I give ‘em a quick wipe when they’re hot & fresh, it saves scrubbing later.
You can find them in most drugstores.
IMG_0624.jpeg
Hope this helps!

Reactions: DougE and 801driver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky