Smoked Turkey issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ryan1980

Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
I smoked many turkeys, but this year I got an electric smoker this year and am learning it a bit still. I typically try to get breast meat to the mid 150's in terms of degrees. This time however I got it to temp way to quick. Started at 225 degrees, but I turned the temp on the smoker way down to 155 and basically have it idling there. Breast meat is 155 and steady. Not sure how this is gonna turn out, and will find out soon enough. It will be at that temp for several more hours before I pull it. Should kill all bacteria easily at that temp especially for that long, but flip side is hoping that long of time at 155 doesnt dry it out or something. Just wondering if anyone has done this or thoughts..

Restaurants have Holding Cabinets that hold meat hot at 150°F for as long as needed. The skin will suffer but the meat will be fine. Since your oven does not hold moisture, wrap the bird...JJ

Ok, was hoping that's what someone was gonna say, thx. I'll throw some foil on it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky