Smoked turkey ham legs ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

loonytooner

Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
This is something I have been wanting to give a try. Anyone here done them ? I have seen many different ways on you tube. Better known as the disney turkey ham .The taste of ham on a turkey leg has me drooling.

Thanks
LT

I will give this a try. Thank you Jcam222.
How do you guys go about removing the tendons ?

And as for the pink salt. The only place I can buy it around here is at Cabelas. It is called pink salt fast cure. I take it that this is the curing salt required ?

Last edited:
I will give this a try. Thank you Jcam222.
How do you guys go about removing the tendons ?

And as for the pink salt. The only place I can buy it around here is at Cabelas. It is called pink salt fast cure. I take it that this is the curing salt required ?
Pink curing salt is a mixture of table salt and sodium nitrite. It is one of the most common curing salt and is also known as Prague Powder #1 Tinted Cure, Pink Curing Salt, Quick Cure Salt, Curing Salt #1, and Instacure #1. Pink curing salt is ultimately used to cure meat, meaning that it makes it so that the botulinum toxin cannot produce. Make sure what you buy is contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% sodium chloride.

Reactions: loonytooner
I never did legs but did thighs
Richie

I did a batch of them I posted here about five years back, turned out great.

After that batch I did another with "Disney" sized turkey legs, They are hard to find and pricey, folks seemed to love them and one makes a meal. RAY

This is something I have been wanting to give a try. Anyone here done them ? I have seen many different ways on you tube. Better known as the disney turkey ham .The taste of ham on a turkey leg has me drooling.

I have done these the last 3 years for Thanksgiving. I am not a fan of regular turkey, but I love smoked turkey legs like you get at Disney. Search for Pop's curing brine that uses pink salt. Cure for 3 days. I then air dry for a day on a sheet pan with a cookie cooling rack to elevate to allow airflow. Smoke with hickory and cherry wood. Absolutely yummy! Super easy, but it takes some planning out. I've had them take anywhere from 2-4 hours.

trukey 1.jpg

turkey2.jpg

turkey 3.jpg

Reactions: Jabiru
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky