Smofried Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nicks little experiment! I’ve dunked a few birds in my day but never this, I think your idea of a a same day dunk just to finish it and crisp the skin would be a ticket for dinner thing!
Hopefully next time I won't be as pressed for time. If so, I think I'll either smoke it all the way or fry it all the way...

Charles I think you will like doing it all in one day a lot more and will have better results. Sucks the thermo was off that didn't help things at all. I to think that having to reheat the bird was part of why it came out so dark.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Charles I think you will like doing it all in one day a lot more and will have better results. Sucks the thermo was off that didn't help things at all. I to think that having to reheat the bird was part of why it came out so dark.
Agree, 100%

Hi, I know I'm late in this discussion, but I wanted to add something.

I found a recipe book years back called 'Smoke and Spice'. Smoked fried chicken could be ramped up to turkey. Buttermilk brine, short smoke to infuse flavor, return to the buttermilk to drop the temp, batter and fry. The 2nd buttermilk gives you the temp change in the fry to crisp and sear.

The smoke time was enhancing the cook [40%], the fry is the main action. Food safety practices are not my expertise, but par cooking is a thing. As long as your cooling method is sufficient, I ASSUME you're in the clear. Double cooking would be problematic.

Regardless, since I was working over the last 3 days, I'm jealous of your spread. I'm always impressed with experiments gone well.

My experiment of trying to smoke one day, chill down as quickly as possible, then deep frying on Thanksgiving just didn't go as well as I had hoped. The turkey tasted good, everyone said it was great, but it didn't look all that great. The smoke flavor really came through, though. It was an experiment that could work maybe with some tweaks...

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Charles , great idea, and you don't know until you try.

Like you said , everyone that tried it liked it . I think Keith JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 has a good idea. Maybe put that into your retry list.

But I would have filled up a plate the way you have it done there. Just saying :emoji_yum:

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky