Smoked tandoori marinated chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ty520

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
Decided to try a spin on tandoori chicken. Marinated the whole bird, then applied with additional rub before smoking.

Served with saag paneer made with homemade paneer.

Have to admit I wouldn't do it this way again. Flavor didn't really penetrate despite 24 hours of marinating with skin on. But I think the smoking added a great additional letter of flavor. Would probably do skinless thighs next time.
0410221711_HDR.jpg

0410221808.jpg

That is a beautiful looking chicken!
Love the color & the sliced breast looks tender & juicy!
Nice work!
Al

Looks great but looks can be deceiving. I am in minority but think a dry brine/rub needs a few days to a week to work it's magic.

Looks great but looks can be deceiving. I am in minority but think a dry brine/rub needs a few days to a week to work it's magic.
The initial marinade was a wet buttermilk marinade; the dry rub after was just to naturally get that stereotypical bright red color typical to tandoori chicken

Very creative! I love it! Great cook, a lot of effort with a tasty payoff. Too bad the flavor wasn’t what you wanted, but awesome you made some notes for next go!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Wow
How did you cook & smoke the bird?

Yeah marinades need to go under the skin to get the flavor into the meat. Even dead skin a is a good barrier.
That skin looks phenomenal. I love the crispy skin from spatchcock.

I do jerk chicken thighs now and then. I always peel the skin back and apply the marinade to the meat.

Wow
How did you cook & smoke the bird?

Yeah marinades need to go under the skin to get the flavor into the meat. Even dead skin a is a good barrier.
That skin looks phenomenal. I love the crispy skin from spatchcock.

I do jerk chicken thighs now and then. I always peel the skin back and apply the marinade to the meat.
Thanks. 225 for about 5 hours with apple wood until the thighs got to 165

Last edited:
LOL
I could translate the TLA many ways.
When mine were 3 yo, most did not have a mobile phone. This was the 90's.
We did because wife worked at phone company

Great looking chicken even if it didn't turn out as expected.

The marinade is a buttermilk liquid base. Do you Think it won't be too thick to inject?
Only one way to find out. I'd give it a shot.

Another option i am mulling is to omit the buttermilk and replace with a minimal amount of olive oil to make a slurry rub, marinated with skin off so it really penetrates and pigments the meat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky