SMOKED HAM QUESTION help please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbfromtennessee

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 14, 2014
Put a 10# ham on way to early. just hit 140 at 9:30 a.m. problem is we are not eating til 5 this evening. should i let it rest a bit and slice and refrigerate or can i foil it and stick in oven or ice chest for the rest of the day...

You can wrap it and put it in a cooler wrapped in towels if you want. Or better yet just put it in your oven on the lowest setting. How low will yours go? Many have a warming setting.

LOW, must be 160 or less and accurate too. Temp swings to 200 would not be good. Many older gas and electric stoves set Low at 200 with 50° swings. If you oven will not maintain, the cooler is preferred by far. Wrapped in foil, towels and a the smallest cooler that fits the ham, will easily hold 7 hours...JJ

thanks one and all. i finally decided to vac pack and put all in the fridge... warm up what we want and save the rest for sammies....

Indaswamp, excellent call. POINTS. Here we have a slightly different situation. When Catering a large event with Holding Cabinets having multiple items, they are opened and closed, introducing air borne bacteria. Maintaining 140-150 is critical.

A single Ham with a 200° surface and 140°F center, immediately wrapped in foil and towels, going into a cooler that will not be opened again until service 7 hours later, will maintain temp, 120 or higher no problem. At what point whether it stays at 140 or cools to 70°, even left coolered 24 hours later, is it even remotely possibile for Bacteria to get on the Sterile Ham, that is covered in Salt, Sugar and Smoke all of which inhibit bacterial growth, to cause a problem?...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky