Smoked Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Well since we're stuck at home hibernating (quarantining), I'm going to do my smoked chili recipe today, it's actually my version of Malcolm Reed's. I've read a bunch of comments on here where some put cocoa in theirs. My recipe does not include it and I've never used it, but it's kind of an interesting thought that I want to incorporate today. My question is how much should I use? Is there a ratio or just add a couple of teaspoons? Any guidance will be much appreciated.

I put 1tsp of unsweetened Cocoa in mine. Depending on how big a pot you're making a second tsp wouldn't hurt
Thanks, Jake. It's going to be about 5 lbs. of smoked brisket and a couple of pounds of smoked pulled pork plus all of the other ingredients, so it'll be a fairly large pot.

Everything I read just talked about adding it, but I couldn't really find any actual amounts.

I’d use a TBS at least, you won’t even taste it but it just adds another flavor to the chili. Some guys just put half a bar of chocolate in it. I think the cocoa works better.
Al
That's an interesting idea, as well.

Cocoa and Chiles enhance each others flavor. 1Tbs Cocoa Per Gallon of Chile works nicely. You may need to add a bit of Sugar if the Bitterness of the Chiles plus the Cocoa is to much for your taste.
A Pinch of Chile de Arbol in Hot Chocolate tastes amazing...But not exactly Kid Friendly...JJ

I usually add a cup of coffee for a 3-5 gallon pot or I add a half cup of unsweetened chocolate chips to my chili. It adds a richness to it.
I also add some fresh squeezed lime to the pot once it’s done. It helps with the mouthfeel and finish.

I usually add a cup of coffee for a 3-5 gallon pot or I add a half cup of unsweetened chocolate chips to my chili. It adds a richness to it.
I also add some fresh squeezed lime to the pot once it’s done. It helps with the mouthfeel and finish.
Instant coffee or regular coffee for the coffee maker?

Reactions: CFLJOHN512
I find 1/4-1/3 cup of the "cold-brew" liquid (concentrated) coffee works good and doesn't thin down the mix like brewed coffee does. It's like the cocoa....if you taste it you used too much.
I'll add one more: Prune juice is a nice way to add a little sweet and it adds a richness I like but again, you don't dare want to taste it.

But I like a little brown sugar and honey sweetness anyway in my chili to balance the heat...nothing like that in the Malcolm Reed recipe though.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Another element I like is cinnamon. Couple weeks ago I had some at my SIL parents house. My first bite I said I taste cinnamon. I usually put 1/4 tsp powder in mine but they put a whole stick in it. I am going to try that next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky