Smoked chicken thighs, drums, and 3x baked potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

IH 1026

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 4, 2018
Central PA, Lebanon County
Decided to smoke some chicken today on my Weber kettle.. picked up a few packs of drumsticks and thighs for $.80 a pound. Both were pretty large in size.

Started off slathering a little mustard on everything to make the rub stick to it, and threw everything in the fridge overnight.

Can't forget a few of these to help the cook...
BBIRZ7m.jpg

Started off wrapping some potatoes in foil, with a little butter, in the oven to bake at around 350 for about an hour and a half. In the meantime I got some charcoal going in the chimney for my Weber 22" K
ettle. When the coals were ready, I preheated the Kettle to get ready for the chicken, then put it on with some apple wood, and cherry wood.

Potatoes are done.. .scrape the meat out.
r6ebd1S.jpg

Add some melted butter, sour cream, chives, and finely graded Sargento Sharp Yellow Cheese and 5 strips of thick cut bacon.
6jttB9G.jpg

Another one or 2 of these for the cook.
BBIRZ7m.jpg

Potatoes after the second bake... letting them cool, then adding coarse Sargento Sharp Yellow Cheese.
8ZwwDxV.jpg

Almost done. Glazed with bbq sauces for the last hour, about every 20 minutes. One sauce was mustard based, which was a little salty, and the other was a sauce I got for Fathers Day and decided to use it up.
85b921J.jpg

Final results... skin was crispy, and very little fat in the thighs after being on the smoker for over 3 hours. I DO NOT know what the internal temperature was while cooking as I didn't get a 27/32 drill bit to install a port for the temp probe wires. Chicken was not dry at all, and had some great smoke flavor from the apple and cherry wood.
A0u0weu.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking plate of chicken IH. Can't beat a Kettle.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great dont drill hole, put the probe thru the top vent jmo

Looks like an awesome meal :emoji_thumbsup:

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Been busy making the last of my first cutting of grass hay since early this morning, so I have not had much time to reply. I'm a one man band until my help shows up to throw bales... and today it was close to 800 small bales.

The hole in the side of my Weber Kettle is to install a port for the probe wires for my thermometer... putting the probe wires down through the vent in the lid is not a great option as the lid comes off about every 20-30 minutes while glazing everything with BBQ sauce. Good thought, but not very practical.

The mustard based sauce came out VERY salty, so more then likely I won't be using that again. Sweet Baby Rays Sweet and Spicy was just the thing for my chicken as I like some heat, and regular Sweet Baby Rays for everybody else.

Reactions: pc farmer
Looks pretty darn good IH, Like on that. Been raining here 33 days out of the last 45 here at work. been a real pain to try to enjoy this summer.
Congrats on the carousel ride.

Again... thanks for all the kind words from everyone. I appreciate it. If I can do this, anyone can. Don't let your fear of failure stop you from smoking something.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky