smoked chicke an then some..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ristau5741

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Did smoke 2 6lb whole chickens on Saturday with Mesquite and my home made rub, in my offset stick burner. Ran about 5 hours, at 240F. Internal got up to about 165F, took off, let them cool, cut off the breasts, set them for dinner that night. Shredded the rest of the chicken, packaged and froze for some BBQ. Bagged all the bones and skin and threw in the fridge for the Sunday project.

Sunday project, I dumped the chicken bag into a big pot, sliced up some carrots, celery, onion and garlic and about 10 cups of water, just enough to cover, brought to a boil, and left to barely simmer for about 4 hours, took out the solids, double strained the what is now chicken broth. Put into containers for later use. Man that broth turned out awesome, nice and smokey with a taste of rub. I'll be making some chicken soup with that and some of the leftover shredded chicken in a few days.

Thanks for reading.

Reactions: tallbm and SonnyE
Did smoke 2 6lb whole chickens on Saturday with Mesquite and my home made rub, in my offset stick burner. Ran about 5 hours, at 240F. Internal got up to about 165F, took off, let them cool, cut off the breasts, set them for dinner that night. Shredded the rest of the chicken, packaged and froze for some BBQ. Bagged all the bones and skin and threw in the fridge for the Sunday project.

Sunday project, I dumped the chicken bag into a big pot, sliced up some carrots, celery, onion and garlic and about 10 cups of water, just enough to cover, brought to a boil, and left to barely simmer for about 4 hours, took out the solids, double strained the what is now chicken broth. Put into containers for later use. Man that broth turned out awesome, nice and smokey with a taste of rub. I'll be making some chicken soup with that and some of the leftover shredded chicken in a few days.

Thanks for reading.

How long did you apply smoke to the chicken you were cooking?

Zippy, nah, it didn't turn solid in the fridge, just a light film on the top.

tallbm, smoke applied the whole time, well maybe 99% as I was finishing up and the temp was going down, I didn't throw any more smoking wood in the fire.

Al, yes, wish I could, I shattered the camera lens on the cell phone, tried a manual replacement of the lens with some parts I bought online, didn't turn out so well, I could post blurry pics, but that wouldn't do Q justice.

Zippy, nah, it didn't turn solid in the fridge, just a light film on the top.

Al, yes, wish I could, I shattered the camera lens on the cell phone, tried a manual replacement of the lens with some parts I bought online, didn't turn out so well, I could post blurry pics, but that wouldn't do Q justice.

Then I could see them without my glasses. The chicken does sound great never used mesquite for chicken.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky