Smoked Beef Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
It's always interesting to find things that have been "lost" in a chest freezer. Stuff does get "lost" in my upright, but not nearly as much as my chest freezer. Digging around looking for a rib roast that I was absolutely certain was in there, I found a 3 lb. boneless shoulder roast instead...
20230602_111623[1].jpg

Tied it up and seasoned with Kinder's Buttery because...well just because...
20230602_111901[1].jpg

On the Ok. Joe over a pan of unsalted beef broth with some maple wood for smoke...
20230602_124154[1].jpg

After that, time for some garlic red potatoes. A stick of butter melted, 3-4 cloves of garlic chopped, the juice of 1 lemon, and a few red potatoes cut up into bite size pieces. Mixed together and into an aluminum pan covered and onto the smoker...
20230602_162916[1].jpg

20230602_163456[1].jpg

20230602_163603[1].jpg

The roast is getting up to about 195℉ and after about 35-40 minutes, the potatoes are tender. Uncover the potatoes, stir around, sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese and let them get some color...
20230602_174727[1].jpg

Potatoes got a little color. Could stand a little more, but people are ready to eat...:emoji_laughing:
20230602_182716[1].jpg

The roast isn't quite probe tender, but is 203℉ I.T., but there again, people are ready to eat...:emoji_laughing: Time to pull, tent, and let it rest. Defatted the liquid in the pan, added some more broth, and reduced on the stove to make a gravy...
20230602_182059[1].jpg

Some fresh veggies are drizzled with EVOO, coarse salt and pepper, and oven roasted...
20230602_174935[1].jpg

Slice the roast...
20230602_183123[1].jpg

Now it's time to eat...:emoji_laughing:
20230602_183813[1].jpg

The shoulder was ok, but a little dry, I prefer boneless chuck. Probably should've injected it. Now to find that rib roast...

Dry or not it sure looks tasty to me....I'd gobble that right up!

edit....lol Jim, I was typing same time as you....ie not copying

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Looks delicious! Little dry... more gravy! Or wash it down with beer of choice, or drink of choice... :emoji_blush:
Beautiful job on that smoke ring!

Ryan

Still looks good even if a little dry. You think a dry brine would have helped?
And what is the difference between shoulder roast and chuck?

Looks tasty to me! Great smoke ring too. Veggies look awesome as well. All around fresh meal. I know what you mean about losing things in the freezer. I have so many things to use up lol.

Wow! That looks great! Bet it was delicious! Seeing this thread reminds me I need to go buy the rump roast that is on sale to make roast beef....
Thank you very much, Keith!! It was good, just a little dry...
The food looks amazing. Looks like you had a fun cook. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you, Ed! It was a fun cook and we enjoyed it...
Dry or not.....I'll take a doube helping of that plate. Looks good to me. And what a pretty smoke ring.

Jim
Jim, you'd be welcome to a double plate anytime!!
Charles , just fantastic

Well done

David
Thanks David, I appreciate that...
Dry or not it sure looks tasty to me....I'd gobble that right up!

edit....lol Jim, I was typing same time as you....ie not copying
:emoji_grinning: Thanks Civil!!
Looks delicious! Little dry... more gravy! Or wash it down with beer of choice, or drink of choice... :emoji_blush:
Beautiful job on that smoke ring!

Ryan
Come on over Ryan and get you some!! A good, cold beer is definitely a great compliment. Yes, I was pleasantly surprised with the smoke ring...
Congrats on the carousel ride!
Thanks Keith and the powers that be on the selection to ride!!
Still looks good even if a little dry. You think a dry brine would have helped?
And what is the difference between shoulder roast and chuck?
Thanks Steve. A dry brine or most likely an injection would have helped...
Nice Job Charles the roast looks perfect to me.

Point for sure
Chris
:emoji_wink: Thank you, Chris!
Looks great Charles and congrats on the ride!

Keith
I appreciate that, Keith...
Looks tasty to me! Great smoke ring too. Veggies look awesome as well. All around fresh meal. I know what you mean about losing things in the freezer. I have so many things to use up lol.
Jeff, it was pretty good and we love our fresh veggies lightly roasted. About once every 6 months, I try to organize my chest freezer, but many times it's an exercise in futility...:emoji_laughing:
Looks delicious!
Thank you, peach!!
This looks spectacular Charles!! Sorry it came out a bit dry but man oh man, it looks to be perfectly cooked. Congrats my friend on a much deserved carousel ride.

Robert
Robert, it was ok, but the overall outcome is an excuse to try again and make it better. Thank you for your kind words...

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Charles, first off… I totally agree with the chest freezer analysis… we try to rotate… but can be a PITA! Good find on your part!

I will also second the Kinder’s Buttery Steakhouse option you used… that stuff is phenomenal!

That is one top notch meal my friend… well executed and nice smoke ring! Nicely done all the way around!

I was hoping to see your little Granddaughter on this thread… she is a beautiful little thing and cracks me up!

Very nice thread bud!

• Love
If something is to get in the way of life ... Fishing is the best thing to do it with.

I live for fishing ..After family of coarse. Guess I have to say that.

Good for you Charles
As a charter captain and tournament fisherman, this is my busiest time of the year. I've been in Georgia for the last 4 days pre-fishing for a tournament and then fishing the tournament which was today. By the way, we blew it when we had a huge fish break off. But as always, it's fishing, not catching...:emoji_grinning:

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky