smoke hole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluesmoke214

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 1, 2022
I just had a thought...probably not a productive one, but I had it anyway. I get SnS emails because, well, I signed up after purchasing their Slow n Sear stuff. I know their kettle grills come with a smoke hole in the bottom half of the grill. Would my life change for the better if I drilled one into my Weber. I do use it for smoking brisket, pork butts and beef short ribs, and I do have two sets of temp probes Anybody done that or are you certain it serves no purpose.

not sure...SnS says it is for a probe
They have 2 different ones. The "Probe Port" is a small hole with a cover up near the lid of the grill above the level of the food grate. It's to run probe wires through without having to go between bottom part of the kettle and the lid. Works great for me. I put them on both my Weber 22" kettles. Keeps the wires from getting bent and the lid seals better.
The "Smoke Port" is a larger hole. 1" diameter. Has an adjustable cover and is installed below the charcoal grate. It is intended to be used by closing the bottom vents and using it to control air flow. The idea is that it will allow you to fine tune temps easier than using the bottom vents. I could see it being beneficial to you if you use a Slow N Sear or similar set up for long low and slow cooks. Other than that probably a waste of time. My $.02

If it's the one for the temp probes. Then I wouldn't drill a hole. You can make a notch in the lip of the kettle body. It's easy to do with a dremel tool.

This is BandCollector BandCollector picture:
1689397597682.png

Reactions: BandCollector
I added this to an old kettle I have , that I added an electric element to . For temp probe and the chamber control for a PID controller .
I think I got 6 for $9.00 . That being said , I'd have a hard time drilling into my 26 or my performer . I just run the wires under the lid .
20230426_142500.jpg
20230426_143714.jpg

Reactions: OldSmoke
They have 2 different ones. The "Probe Port" is a small hole with a cover up near the lid of the grill above the level of the food grate. It's to run probe wires through without having to go between bottom part of the kettle and the lid. Works great for me. I put them on both my Weber 22" kettles. Keeps the wires from getting bent and the lid seals better.
The "Smoke Port" is a larger hole. 1" diameter. Has an adjustable cover and is installed below the charcoal grate. It is intended to be used by closing the bottom vents and using it to control air flow. The idea is that it will allow you to fine tune temps easier than using the bottom vents. I could see it being beneficial to you if you use a Slow N Sear or similar set up for long low and slow cooks. Other than that probably a waste of time. My $.02
thanks! good input.

I added this to an old kettle I have , that I added an electric element to . For temp probe and the chamber control for a PID controller .
I think I got 6 for $9.00 . That being said , I'd have a hard time drilling into my 26 or my performer . I just run the wires under the lid .
View attachment 670539
View attachment 670540
thanks...good pics...will help me decide.

I know their kettle grills come with a smoke hole in the bottom half of the grill. Would my life change for the better if I drilled one into my Weber. I do use it for smoking brisket, pork butts and beef short ribs,
I have an SnS Kettle with the SnS charcoal basket, so I have both the Smoke Hole and the Probe Hole. I really like the Smoke Hole for fine tuning temps and holding lower temps.

My starting drill is to light one end of the charcoal basket with a torch.... and I have the bottom vent full open, and the Smoke Hole full open. At about 250° I close the bottom vent to about 1/4 open. As I pass 275° I close the bottom vent and leave just the Smoke Hole open. This keeps me in the 275° neighborhood. If I need more heat I'll open the bottom vent 1/4.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky