Smithfield " Extra Tender " whole spare ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
I found them at Walmart. Two racks that weigh 14#'s . I'm thinkin, dayuum , man, they gotta be meaty.

But " extra tender " means they're enhanced. But I'm doing Texas eatin ribs here, whole spares , S/P , real simple seasoning .......... why would it matter if they're enhanced ?

I found them at Walmart. Two racks that weigh 14#'s . I'm thinkin, dayuum , man, they gotta be meaty.

But " extra tender " means they're enhanced. But I'm doing Texas eatin ribs here, whole spares , S/P , real simple seasoning .......... why would it matter if they're enhanced ?
They are salty. I steer clear of them just not worth the end result.

Reactions: JLeonard
Well, I could not pass these up. They're huge meaty ribs.

I'll just hold back on the salt, use more pepper.

I say they're big and meaty, I really don't know what I'm gonna be lookin at when I cut the package open. Could be 7 pounds of fat. IDK, will find out Saturday morning.

I say they're big and meaty, I really don't know what I'm gonna be lookin at when I cut the package open. Could be 7 pounds of fat. IDK, will find out Saturday morning.
If they are BB they will be full of loin meat. On the other hand if they are spares the will be loaded with bacon, essentially, fresh side and will be better but definitely soak in water first.

Reactions: culpepersmoke
Good luck, and read the package to see what they are enhanced with. You'll probably want to skip the salt part of your rub.

"Extra Meaty" ribs will have a thicker layer of meat, in this case it will be loin meat..., but does your label mention any enhancement?

Hormel brand pork can be branded "Always Tender" which will be enhanced, but I haven't seen this line of pork in several years.

PYNi2Jv.jpg

"Extra Meaty" ribs will have a thicker layer of meat, in this case it will be loin meat..., but does your label mention any enhancement?

Hormel brand pork can be branded "Always Tender" which will be enhanced, but I haven't seen this line of pork in several years.

View attachment 680062

Yes, it says enhanced on the label.

I heard something last year, about KCBS events in California were being won with enhanced ribs. It was either on the Virtual Weber Bullet or from Harry Soo.

But then, comp cooks doctor those meats so much, they could hide about anything, though IDK why they would start with enhanced. Sam Jones said his dad would tell people that ya can put enough sauce on a napkin to get it down.

They look good to me!! I did some Hormel ribs a while back and should have done what Fueling Around said and soaked them. They were good but a bit on the salty side. Yours are looking yummy!!

Reactions: Smokin Okie
These were the big meaty ribs I'd hoped for when I found them at Walmart.

The whole spares I've been buying from Sams and from US Chef store, have been a whole lot of bone with very thin amount of meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky