SMF Members/Groups Threads

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 25, 2007
Philadelphia
Hello all.

I have a few questions to the folks that post often on here trying to help others.

Do you find the SMF groups, counter productive in some instances?

I have seen many posts that I go to answer and they are a specific group.

I refuse to join every group just to make a post, to me this is counterproductive. Valuable, and helpful knowledge may not be posted if someone doesn't join the group to post. I know quite a few times I had some info to share and hit the reply button and was asked to join the group and did not.

Were you ever deterred from posting due to it being a group?

Yeah I know...I could just join the groups but to me it takes away from SMF as a community. It separates us as a group.

I can see the groups being beneficial to specific areas for meetups, restaurants in the area, shopping and other things, but when general questions get asked, some may not answer because of it being a group.

For example if someone had a question about fire management in a group thread...would you join the group to answer?

This is my opinion only but would love to hear from others on this topic.

SQWIB

Hello all.

I have a few questions to the folks that post often on here trying to help others.

I refuse to join every group just to make a post, to me this is counterproductive. Valuable, and helpful knowledge may not be posted if someone doesn't join the group to post. I know quite a few times I had some info to share and hit the reply button and was asked to join the group and did not.

Yeah I know...I could just join the groups but to me it takes away from SMF as a community. It separates us as a group.

I can see the groups being beneficial to specific areas for meetups, restaurants in the area, shopping and other things, but when general questions get asked, some may not answer because of it being a group.

For example if someone had a question about fire management in a group thread...would you join the group to answer?

SQWIB
I have run into that a bunch. I often PM the member that posted the question. But that doesn't help the other members that are reading the thread.

Happy smoken.

David

Hello all.

SQWIB
No I would not. Shouldn't have too. This is supposed to be one big community!!!! It's like high school, it's your school but there's cliques and separates the community. I for one don't care for it. Simplify things.

Isn't there a way to keep the groups entact, but open them to comments from anyone? Seems like it should be an easy few clicks by the forum techie folks. (but I'm no expert...)

From an organizational stand point, I love the groups because it helps keep the information categorized. If I want to read the latest info on bacon or sausage making, or what mods the MES folks are doing, I know where to go without having to sort through search engine results.

However, I don't think there is any real benefit to making people join a group just to make a comment. That feature is definitely counter-intuitive to the whole forum concept.

As in the case if the mini wsm, there was a sub forum created rather than a group. Makes much more sense to me as I too find absolutely no benefit in having exclusive groups. Since there is no criteria to join, most times I'll either skip the thread or end up just joining the group in order to post what is helpful info. I have in the past had someone no too politely point out that since I no longer owned an ECB I had no business posting in their group. That's the kind of attitude these groups promote in my humble opinion.

This really hadn't occurred to me SQWIB, but now that I think about it, I tend to agree with you.  

Another point that occurs to me: I'm part of the Pellet Smokers Group...and there is also a Pellet Smokers sub-forum in the Smoking Supplies and Equipment Forum.  Obviously, these 2 separate areas regularly have threads that overlap in content and subject matter.  Now that I think about it, this seems redundant...and I would have no problem with the threads from the Pellet Smokers Group being joined with the regular Pellet Smoker sub-forum.  This would make comments in any pellet smoking thread open to all who wish to respond, thus making the need for that separate Group unnecessary.

Red

Although it's easy to join any group, I agree that any member of this forum should be able to comment on any thread without having to join the group. I do like the groups though. It provides a place for members with specific interests to post and to read posts of like-minded members.

The person posting the thread with the question could always post it in a section that is open to all so I figure if they post it in a group they must be looking for other members of that group to answer.

I have run into that a bunch. I often PM the member that posted the question. But that doesn't help the other members that are reading the thread.

Happy smoken.

David
I agree
No I would not. Shouldn't have too. This is supposed to be one big community!!!! It's like high school, it's your school but there's cliques and separates the community. I for one don't care for it. Simplify things.
I have been staying away from groups for a similar reason. I don't want to post in a Bradley group and have folks think...What's this guy talking about he's a stickburner?

Maybe it's my paranoia kicking in, maybe not!
Isn't there a way to keep the groups entact, but open them to comments from anyone? Seems like it should be an easy few clicks by the forum techie folks. (but I'm no expert...)

From an organizational stand point, I love the groups because it helps keep the information categorized. If I want to read the latest info on bacon or sausage making, or what mods the MES folks are doing, I know where to go without having to sort through search engine results.

However, I don't think there is any real benefit to making people join a group just to make a comment. That feature is definitely counter-intuitive to the whole forum concept.
In my opinion, the groups benefit when a question is asked very specific to that group like how to replace an element in a Bradley Smoker, but general questions will go unanswered by many, for example... someone asking about Fire management in the Char Grillers Owner group. I am a stickburner and may have a solution or helpful info for the poster, but stay away from groups.

I worry newbies who may own a specific smoker and ask a general question in a group forum and not get enough feedback.
As in the case if the mini wsm, there was a sub forum created rather than a group. Makes much more sense to me as I too find absolutely no benefit in having exclusive groups. Since there is no criteria to join, most times I'll either skip the thread or end up just joining the group in order to post what is helpful info. I have in the past had someone no too politely point out that since I no longer owned an ECB I had no business posting in their group. That's the kind of attitude these groups promote in my humble opinion.
Skip the thread, that's what I have been doing but have been feeling guilty lately as I see some folks really need advice.

Interesting on the attitude comment.

This really hadn't occurred to me SQWIB, but now that I think about it, I tend to agree with you.  

Another point that occurs to me: I'm part of the Pellet Smokers Group...and there is also a Pellet Smokers sub-forum in the Smoking Supplies and Equipment Forum.  Obviously, these 2 separate areas regularly have threads that overlap in content and subject matter.  Now that I think about it, this seems redundant...and I would have no problem with the threads from the Pellet Smokers Group being joined with the regular Pellet Smoker sub-forum.  This would make comments in any pellet smoking thread open to all who wish to respond, thus making the need for that separate Group unnecessary.

Red
Yes merging sub groups in a group makes sense.

However I don't want to create problems or more work at SMF but was more interested in what other folks were doing... trying to justify my actions and it appears that many have the same feelings as me.

Although it's easy to join any group, I agree that any member of this forum should be able to comment on any thread without having to join the group. I do like the groups though. It provides a place for members with specific interests to post and to read posts of like-minded members.
Stated above.

The groups  benefit when a question is asked very specific to that group like how to replace an element in a Bradley Smoker, but general questions will go unanswered by many, for example someone asking about Fire management in the Char Grillers Owner group. I am a stickburner and may have a solution or helpful info for the poster, but stay away from groups.

I worry newbies who may own a specific smoker and ask a general question in a group forum and not get enough feedback.

The person posting the thread with the question could always post it in a section that is open to all so I figure if they post it in a group they must be looking for other members of that group to answer.
Most folks on SMF who have been around a while know this but for our newer folks they most likely would join a group specific to their equipment.

Newbies will probably end up double posting if they don't get much response in their Group.

This is a Group description for the  Bradley Owners Forum

This group is for those of us who own a Bradley smoker or perhaps wished we owned one. By sharing ideas we can all learn what works best, tips, ideas, and how to get the most out of this smoker.

Hers one for Smokin-It Owners

There is no group description for this group yet.

I think the SMF as a community would benefit if the description under groups stated posting suggestions that would let newer folks know that for general questions you may get more feedback posting in the main forum... there I go adding my 2 cents again.

Never gave it a though , just joined the group and went about my business .

I have a 'virtual' Friend in the U,K,  ( my Danny friend in Trent ) and like to talk to him , as do I the Arizona group , Penn State group and more . . .

I do have probs. with my Q-view , now and then , but that's operator error .
biggrin.gif

Sorry Squib , this one gives me no 'Grief' .
cool.gif

But , have fun and . . .

For smf where do I post I thought they were all the same I have 4 different smokers I have a Bradley for one I see what your talking about I posted in there and got no reply so had to re-post but I thought they were all the same smf

Never gave it a though , just joined the group and went about my business .

I have a 'virtual' Friend in the U,K,  ( my Danny friend in Trent ) and like to talk to him , as do I the Arizona group , Penn State group and more . . .

I do have probs. with my Q-view , now and then , but that's operator error .:biggrin:

Sorry Squib , this one gives me no 'Grief' . :cool:

But , have fun and . . .

No grief here either just counter productive.

on my behalf... I won't join a group to answer ether ... but I will PM the OP and suggest that he post his question in the related topic in the open forums if it's not related to the group topic... I will explain to them that they will get more response in an open forum rather than a specific group just for the reason you speak of... that being that others will not join a group just to give input to their question...

For smf where do I post I thought they were all the same I have 4 different smokers I have a Bradley for one I see what your talking about I posted in there and got no reply so had to re-post but I thought they were all the same smf

Post in the appropriate area on the "open forum"

I tend to agree with most of what has been said. I think many people like me live in the "Forums > New Posts" pages however it is always good to be able to go to specific interest groups (for me the "UK Smokers" group) to quickly see what is happening In my local community. It is a pain though to have to subscribe to the individual groups - especially as most of them are open membership - and I too have been put off from responding to a group post by being asked to subscribe to it.

If there isn't a way of configuring the groups so that individual subscription for each is not required, I would fully support doing away with the open membership groups and move them back into the Forum area as "sub forums". That way they are open for all to generally post into.

Last edited:
I learned something new yesterday reading a thread.When I went to post a comment I needed to join the group so I passed.Since I am fairly new to SMF I read many of the groups threads like the wine group and the Brit/England group.I know nothing about wine or do I drink wine neither am I a Brit or live close to there.I do enjoy reading but do not feel like I should join their groups since I am not in their groups guide lines. 

I am not complaining just a view from a fairly new person to the site.I will keep reading and post when it is possible.

Dan

Maybe the administrators can configure the groups so in order to start a thread you have to be a group member, but any SMF member can post a response. Just a thought.
45.gif
That would be fantastic. I wouldn't even mind them putting a big note on my reply that Say's " This response is the sole opinion of a non member of this group"

Happy smoken.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky