Bearcarver's Advice Lives On

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wingnut720

Original poster
Jan 18, 2024
Even though I'm 68 years young, and have been smoking with an old electric Brinkman Gourmet for probably 20 years, I'm still a "newbie" to this group. Last week, my wife encouraged me to "upgrade" to a Mastercraft electric so I could smoke several items at the same time...something my Brinkman didn't allow...plus have the ability to better control the temperature. After "seasoning" it for use, I googled how others cleaned the glass without chemicals. That search led me to this group in general and Beavercarver's post in particular . I followed his exact method with six paper towels...LOL...and the ashes cleaned my glass like new!! No chemicals and none of the unit's seasoning was altered. Looking forward to more knowledge in the future. Thanks for allowing me to join up. Blessings, wingnut720 (Alias Alvin P)

Attachments

• IMG_20240119_121547413.jpg
    IMG_20240119_121547413.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 22
Hello Alvin, and welcome to the forums! Congrats on that new smoker! I used to cook on a Masterbuilt 40 - turned out lots of delicious BBQ in that cooker.

Our Dear departed friend, Bearcarver, posted more terrific cooks in his Multiple MES smokers over the years. It's definitely a good idea to search for old posts he shared on use and techniques for a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (often abbreviated MES)

And your thread title is very true - Bear's advice certainly does live on here.

Happy Smoking!
Red

Here's a link to his cooks . Great resource .

Here's a link to his cooks . Great resource .
Thanks Chopsaw!!!

Thanks Chopsaw!!!
John was a cabinet maker , woodworker . I made my living as a Union Carpenter , and do some hobby woodworking . We also had the same view on other things , so we had that stuff in common . Had a disagreement with John towards the end . Hurts to even think about it , but what's done is done and good friends will do that . We did work it out before he passed . Hurts all the same . I sure do miss he emails now .
This is in his steps list , but I'll post it so you don't miss it . Enjoy .

John was a cabinet maker , woodworker . I made my living as a Union Carpenter , and do some hobby woodworking . We also had the same view on other things , so we had that stuff in common . Had a disagreement with John towards the end . Hurts to even think about it , but what's done is done and good friends will do that . We did work it out before he passed . Hurts all the same . I sure do miss he emails now .
Thanks Chopsaw...that
I'm a woodworker as well for the past 50+ years. Makes me appreciate Bear's writings all the more. Did these playing in my shop today... I guess it's ok on our smoking site as I did smoke the venison originally attached to the antlers used...LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20240119_165301518.jpg
    IMG_20240119_165301518.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240119_165246865.jpg
    IMG_20240119_165246865.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 14
Welcome Wingnut. John is surely missed by all. Most of us have used his Step by Steps many times and continue to do so. It's very touching seeing his presence is still around. We had a lot in common, I always looked forward to his emails, etc. He also had a great sense of humor.

Welcome wingnut from Nova Scotia. funny how we are looking for information and end up here on this great site full of nice helpful folks .
Who are willing to share their skills with others , so very easily .

And you found a person in Bear ( John ) that was always there to help and or steer you in the right direction.
Me also being a carpenter , had lots of good chats with John over fishing and woodworking.
But mostly Mrs Bears sweets ha ha . Both he and I love our sweets. I am new to the site of a couple years , but wish I had Known Bear longer.

Like said above , his step by step is always a good read and source of knowledge.

David

Even though I'm 68 years young, and have been smoking with an old electric Brinkman Gourmet for probably 20 years, I'm still a "newbie" to this group. Last week, my wife encouraged me to "upgrade" to a Mastercraft electric so I could smoke several items at the same time...something my Brinkman didn't allow...plus have the ability to better control the temperature. After "seasoning" it for use, I googled how others cleaned the glass without chemicals. That search led me to this group in general and Beavercarver's post in particular . I followed his exact method with six paper towels...LOL...and the ashes cleaned my glass like new!! No chemicals and none of the unit's seasoning was altered. Looking forward to more knowledge in the future. Thanks for allowing me to join up. Blessings, wingnut720 (Alias Alvin P)
The legend lives on! Bear brought so much to the this group!

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky