Sleep Apnea

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well sleep study was done last night and doc told me this morning that i have an average of 17 episodes per hour, what he classified as moderate sleep apnea.  I have another one scheduled for 20MAY with a mask.

Good to hear that they got you figured out.

The time I went for my second study for the mask and level fitting I woke up with 10x more energy from the first night.

Good luck.

Well Second study was on Thursday night.  Everything went outstanding.  Thought I was a mouth breather when I slept, so I opted to try the nasal mask with chin strap. Turns out that I don't breath through my mouth at all at night (NO FULL FACE FOR ME
biggrin.gif
).  Waiting on TRICARE to approve me to get a CPAP and mask.  Leaning towards the Resmed S9 Autoset with H5i humidifier.  Also leaning towards some sort of Nasal Pillow mask.  Any recommendations would be a great help.

Thanks 

Jeremy

Here's some of the Equipment you will most likely get :

and here is the Nasal Pillow , very comfortable and (to me) not as constricting  ; I breathe through my nose anyhow.

Once you get set-up you'll sleep like a baby and live longer too.

I have to dodge the Smoke as I cook , but no problem for a dedicated Smoked Food lover.
drool.gif

Check out all the available Equip. at your Pulmonary Supplier.

The Cigarettes (if you smoke) will have to go , but you'll feel better.

Hope all goes well and you get back to youself soon.

Have fun and as always ...

Oh, forgot to say... get some of the ointment at Tricare for your nose. The Pillows are great but if you tighten too much it causes irritation to the Nasil openings.

Take care of yourself with good nutrition (lots of BBQ), and watch out for Diabetes , a Bummer.

Oh, forgot to say... get some of the ointment at Tricare for your nose. The Pillows are great but if you tighten too much it causes irritation to the Nasil openings.

Take care of yourself with good nutrition (lots of BBQ), and watch out for Diabetes , a Bummer.
Stan what ointment are you talking about and what type of mask are you using. Was thinking about trying the Tap-Pap if I can get it but not sure about it.

Absolutely get the humidifier even if you have to pay for it yourself.  There is no comparison between using CPAP with and without a humidifier, especially in the winter or dryer parts of the country.  When I first got mine, it was not offered to me.  The constant blowing air will dry your nasal passages out so much they just plain hurt.  Humidifier makes all the difference in the world.

I currently has a S8 with the attached humidifier module. It's my third CPAP (not counting one that was rebuilt) and I've been on CPAP since 1993.

WOOHOO!!!!  Tricare approval.  Now I just have to wait for the company to come to the house and set it up and get fitted for a mask.  Hopefully before this weekend

I have been on the CPAP for 1 1/2 years and my experience is similar to what others have posted. I only did the one study, due to over 100 incidents in the first hour and my 02 level tanking. I am a mouth breather so I have to have a full mask and I hate it. I use it, I want to  live, but I really hate it. Don't expect the CPAP to magically fix all your sleep problems, it doesn't necessarily do  that. I still wake up in the middle of the night with drymouth, even though I have the Resmed S9 with heated, moisturized equipment. The CPAP is a life saver but it's not necessarily going to do wonders for your life style.

I don't know what kind of insurance coverage you have but my study was over $1200, not counting the Doctor visits just the study itself, before the insurance jumped in.

I didn't sleep at first but when they figured out my air pressure they said I didn't move the rest of the night. Try several masks at first till you really find the one that's perfect. Most insurances allows mask changes I think for the first few days, I tried 4 before I found the one liked best. Now the only thing about night time I worry about is if I have enough distilled water for the humidifier, I always forget to get more when I run out

I just did a new sleep study with an oral device. Everything looked good and I go back to the dentist after Easter for a final fitting and to order the device. I am hoping this device will finally let me get a good nights sleep. For anyone that has a problem with the CPAP machines they should talk to their doctor about the new oral devices.

For what? 
If you have a CDL when you get your physical they will require you to have a report where they read the memory card from your CPAP supplier to prove that you are compliant with using your machine. They told me that you need to use your CPAP for at least 4hrs a night for 70% of the nights to be compliant.  I was also told that these are the numbers that most insurance companies base compliance and continued benefits on as well.  Have had mine for six months and it has helped a ton, no more falling asleep while driving was my biggest benefit.

If you have a CDL when you get your physical they will require you to have a report where they read the memory card from your CPAP supplier to prove that you are compliant with using your machine. They told me that you need to use your CPAP for at least 4hrs a night for 70% of the nights to be compliant.  I was also told that these are the numbers that most insurance companies base compliance and continued benefits on as well.  Have had mine for six months and it has helped a ton, no more falling asleep while driving was my biggest benefit.
Your numbers sound just about right to be compliant with Medicare.
Have had my cpap for a little over a year...don't feel the least bit different. But to be fair I have a few different mental health issues that cause me to not sleep.
Have a neighbor that retired from the FAA. Leroy also has a pilots license. His wife is pushing for him to go for a sleep study but he refuses. Thought he said that even just having a cpap means his flying days will be over......at least I think that is what he said.

Because here in the UK, it is highly possible that you could have your License Revoked.

http://www.sleep-apnoea-trust.org/general-guidance-to-drivers.htm

IF you're still active duty ensure every bit of this stuff is documented in your medical record. If you aren't, see if they can link it to active duty. Sleep apnea is pretty much an automatic 50% disability rating with the VA....

IF you're still active duty ensure every bit of this stuff is documented in your medical record. If you aren't, see if they can link it to active duty. Sleep apnea is pretty much an automatic 50% disability rating with the VA....

The things one learns...

The things one learns...
I was medically discharged.. i.e. my medical problems were bad enough I couldn't continue to serve.... 3 friends with sleep apnea finished their time in service (2 retired, one out after 8 years) and all three of them have higher disability ratings than I do (thanks in large part to some really crappy wording that made it so doctor's wouldn't write the words needed to bump my rating up any higher). It's a sore spot with me....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky