Shrimp and Grits...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Boy do those grits look good Charles. I've only put seafood and cheese in our grits, but I'm liking the idea of some sausage. Thanks for the inspiration. Sausage, scallops, shrimp, and lobster grits may be on the menu this week.

Point for sure
Chris

So many dishes to make, yet only so many notches left on my belt.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Boy do those grits look good Charles. I've only put seafood and cheese in our grits, but I'm liking the idea of some sausage. Thanks for the inspiration. Sausage, scallops, shrimp, and lobster grits may be on the menu this week.

Point for sure
Chris

So many dishes to make, yet only so many notches left on my belt.
Scallops and lobster would be a great addition I'd like to try...:emoji_grinning:

Nice.

Have you ever tried adding a little parm to the grits?

I used to really like that Holmes sausage but the darn stuff runs over 5$ a pack anymore around here. It used to go on sale at Harris Teeter (in the days before the acoughalypse) 2/5 all the time.

Nice.

Have you ever tried adding a little parm to the grits?

I used to really like that Holmes sausage but the darn stuff runs over 5$ a pack anymore around here. It used to go on sale at Harris Teeter (in the days before the acoughalypse) 2/5 all the time.
I add different types of cheese to grits when they are being served as plain grits like for breakfast, but never have thought about using it in this recipe. All smoked sausage has gotten ridiculously expensive and the packages have gotten smaller, but that's a topic for another day...

...AGAIN! It's been awhile since I've made it and with some family in town from Pennsylvania, I figured this would be a good time. I posted the recipe I use before so I won't repeat too much of it,
just a couple of pics.

Here's some of the lineup...
View attachment 663737

The creamy grits...
View attachment 663741

The shrimp, sausage, and ham gravy...
View attachment 663742

Made corn fritters also. This batch is for the kids and has only cheese in it. The second batch had diced onions and jalapenos in it...
View attachment 663743

Time to eat...
View attachment 663744

The recipe calls for using chicken broth in the gravy, but this time I used my homemade shrimp stock that I made back in December.
What a BIG difference in flavor and it was a hit with the crowd. For the grits, I used the homemade chicken broth that my friend gives me. Because the broth is seasoned, I did not add any seasoning to the grits. The ham and sausage are salty enough so no salt added to the gravy, only pepper. If someone decides to make this, I strongly suggest tasting everything before adding salt as this dish can get too salty...
I smoked a Tasso Ham from a true Cajun recipe. I found it here https://louisiana.kitchenandculture.com/recipes/john-folses-smoked-tasso.
It was really easy. Just taste before adding salt and pepper to the shrimp & Grits.
It is just a little spicy. I don't know how much Tasso was in the original recipe.

Last edited:
So, I've never had grits, that's about to change. You make the grits as a soup like then add the shrimp, sausage, ...

Wow, I'm in. That looks so delicious. Moved to top of the list.

adds look great.
This northern boy does not like grits. I tried many times and it lives up to the name grits and that is how it feels going down the throat.

You make the grits as a soup like then add the shrimp, sausage, ...
It's supposed to be thick and the heavy cream makes them creamy. Just keep adding broth to them while cooking and stir the heck out of them because once they start getting thick, they will stick and scorch on the bottom. I usually cook mine for about an hour, maybe more, adding liquid as needed to keep a thinner consistency until it's near ready to eat. Remember, grits will get thicker the longer they sit in the pot after cooking...

Reactions: Nefarious
Charles you are killing me! Awesome job, I am craving it right now.

Here in lies my problem, my wife has become allergic to shrimp about 5 years ago. I am thinking of sacrilege and making it with chicken.

Now I have had Shrimp and Grits at Magnolia in Charleston, several years back. Yours looks every bit as good if not better. I have also had it in New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Each is a little different but great.

Grits to us of Italian heritage is white Polenta. I will agree SC does have the best grits, Carolina Plantation and Palmetto Farms are 2 excellent brands. Of course I get the yellow and call it polenta. I cook my polenta with stock and milk, and use Parmigiano Reggiano to finish.

Joe

P.S. I love your quote!

Charles you are killing me! Awesome job, I am craving it right now.

Here in lies my problem, my wife has become allergic to shrimp about 5 years ago. I am thinking of sacrilege and making it with chicken.

Now I have had Shrimp and Grits at Magnolia in Charleston, several years back. Yours looks every bit as good if not better. I have also had it in New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Each is a little different but great.

Grits to us of Italian heritage is white Polenta. I will agree SC does have the best grits, Carolina Plantation and Palmetto Farms are 2 excellent brands. Of course I get the yellow and call it polenta. I cook my polenta with stock and milk, and use Parmigiano Reggiano to finish.

Joe

P.S. I love your quote!
I appreciate the comments, Joe. Never thought about making it with chicken, but sounds interesting. I don't know how we'd survive around here if one of us became allergic to shellfish, we do eat a lot of it...:emoji_wink:

Reactions: Coach JoeQB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky