Grits question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mosparky

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 11, 2015
St. Louis area, Missouri
This past week, we took a road trip down south to Fort Moore (formerly Ft. Benning) Ga. to see one of our grandsons graduate bootcamp there. He only had a 48 hr pass and then reports for training and then to Ft. Lewis in Washington State. It could be awhile before we see him again, so off to Ga. it was.
Now I'm no stranger to grits but have never had them anywhere other than home. We had breakfast at a popular chain restaurant and It came with a side of grits. When I make them at home, they have a consistency like thin mashed potatoes. These were soupy, to the point they looked watery.
Is that common for restaurant grits ?

I've had it both ways, kinda watery and pretty stiff and both styles were down south. I like the "loose " kind for breakfast with butter and sugar as a replacement for oatmeal. The stiff, I like with an over easy egg and either bacon or ham.

Yep thin or thick is okay and good to go as proper southern cooking.

I don't prefer them too thin, soupy is too thin, I like more like a thick gravy.
And thick is even better, especially with cheese melted in.... Mmmmm, cheesy grits!

And I love them either way with crush red pepper and runny egg yolk.

Man a plate loaded with bacon or country ham, 3-4 soft sunnyside eggs and grits is pure heaven.

Chilerelleno has you covered. Thin is easier for presentation in a restaurant. Although we like them thick. I actually cooked grits tonight for the guys at the firehouse along with venison fresh sausage gravy.

1 cup grits
1 cup whole milk
3 cups water
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper (or more to taste)
1/2 stick butter

simmer on medium heat until thick....

Reactions: mosparky
After experimenting with this;

I pretty much do this all the time.

images (5).jpeg

Sorry. I couldn't help it.

Glad I didn't make a fool of myself by sending them back. Next time I will ask first.
Here I thought I was the odd guy (shut up) by putting my soft fried eggs on top of a bed of grits. It has only been in the last few years I discovered I even liked runny yolks and mixed with grits was over the top for me. That's what I hoped to do here but it just wasn.t the same with soupy grits. I ended up just adding butter, salt and pepper and drinking them from the little cup they were served in.
On a side note, once into Georgia I stopped at a gas station that had Boiled Peanuts. Thanks to this place, you know I had to try them. They were all right but for the most part y'all can have mine.
Go ahead insert highjack here LOL

Glad I didn't make a fool of myself by sending them back. Next time I will ask first.
Here I thought I was the odd guy (shut up) by putting my soft fried eggs on top of a bed of grits. It has only been in the last few years I discovered I even liked runny yolks and mixed with grits was over the top for me. That's what I hoped to do here but it just wasn.t the same with soupy grits. I ended up just adding butter, salt and pepper and drinking them from the little cup they were served in.
On a side note, once into Georgia I stopped at a gas station that had Boiled Peanuts. Thanks to this place, you know I had to try them. They were all right but for the most part y'all can have mine.
I have to agree with you, this house likes them on the thicker side. Mrs philpom likes them straight up stiff, I like mine like soft mashed potatoes.

Bacon, cheese, and hot peppers on mine please!

Reactions: JLeonard
Yeah I'm with you on the boiled peanuts. I'm a southern boy through and through. But have never acquired the taste for them.

Jim

Dang Inda, I have always just used water to cook my grits. The thought of using milk as well never occurred to me. Of course I add plenty of butter, salt and pepper. Gonna have to give that a shot. Dang it, now I'm hungry again !!

Reactions: indaswamp
Yeah I'm with you on the boiled peanuts. I'm a southern boy through and through. But have never acquired the taste for them.
Same here. I was raised in Memphis 'til I was 13, then Mom re-married and dragged me to this land of Yankees. At least Missouri has rednecks and that's good enough. I do still occasionally get comments of "You actually eat that stuff ??" Or like the meme "what's a grit ??" Hog jowls were made up for beverly hillbillies to these folks. The list goes on and on. LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky