Science or Art

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mitchell3006

Original poster
Jul 12, 2017
There seem to be some that want smoking and grilling meats to be a science. I understand the need for a restaurant owner or even a competitor to be able to replicate their food on a schedule. They are working at it. Seems hat backyard folks are loosing the art of Q by following them. Backyard smoking and grilling is supposed to be a relaxing way to prepare meat. I hate to desparage the Eggers and digital folks. Relax and enjoy. Some folks are too uptight to really get the full experience. It should be fun.
Sorry for preaching.

Science is very much a part of art. Music is rooted in math. Painting involves chemical compounds that reflect light interpreted by our brains as colors. That said, art is the creative use of science to express and illicit emotions. My personal opinion is that BBQ is an art. Sure, there is science involved but science alone does not make great BBQ. Using music as an example, a lot of guitar players can play a blues scale but that doesn't make them BB King. Sure, you can cook meat to a specific internal temperature, but there is a whole lot more to making great BBQ or any other culinary endeavor for that matter.

That's what I'm getting at. People get wrapped around the axel and miss the ride. The joy is in creating a meal. Take pleasure from the process.

I read posts under the Ok. Joe threads about reducing smoke leaks and trying to hold smoke in. Number 1 that makes stale dead smoke that tastes bad. More important is it's easy to make more smoke. Chill, take a sip, and enjoy the smell of the leaks.

I read posts under the Ok. Joe threads about reducing smoke leaks and trying to hold smoke in. Number 1 that makes stale dead smoke that tastes bad. More important is it's easy to make more smoke. Chill, take a sip, and enjoy the smell of the leaks.

I have an ok Joe. The mods for me were more about regulating temps. Without some of the ones I did, it was hard to control temps. Now she generally runs great, and still leaks some smoke.

Regarding science or art, it's both. The science to cook properly, and the art to make it good.

Last edited:
Art or science?

Don't know, but I do know that hanging around my smoker, tending a fire & drinking a beer is about as good as it gets for me!!

Al

Ha ha....
I remember my first cold smokes (on my grill)...duck taping all the openings to hold the smoke inside.

For some reason i ingored all the childhood memories of smokehouses putting smoke out like a locomotive.

Just when I was going to serve a Baby Back FOAM on BBQ Sauce DUST and Sous Vide Coleslaw, You guys say there is too much Science working it's way into Smoking up some Q?I'm confused!
32.gif
...JJ

Art or science?

Don't know, but I do know that hanging around my smoker, tending a fire & drinking a beer is about as good as it gets for me!!

Al
Sitting around my smoker with a coffee is one of my greatest pleasures.  Its also my shrink and therapist.  Puts all the BS of a hard day into its proper perspective.

I'm not sure if its art or science.  I can't draw a circle and I flunked science class.  All I know is I love it!!!

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky