Scheduling problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jnorth

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 11, 2012
Fairbanks, AK
I just got a call from my dad saying the company picnic as been pushed back a week to next Sunday.  I have a couple pork shoulders all rubbed down and ready to go.  Would it be better to toss them in the freezer as is and smoke them next week or go ahead and smoke them now then freeze it for a week?

thanks

They were a vacuum pack from Sam's.  I don't remember the date, they have only been thawed for 2-3 days.

I would just smoke them, defat the juice and freeze with with some of Chef Jimmy;s foiling juice and the liquid from the meat 

After smoking, do you think they would last a week in the fridge or should it be frozen?  Of course, in the fridge it might not last a week from me snacking on it....

It would be best to Smoke, Pull, Bag and Freeze the Pork. As you already figured, snacking will make a dent and more than 5 days in a Fridge that everybody is in and out of, will have temp fluctuations that can cause spoilage. Never take chances with Other peoples Safety... For you convenience here is the Foiling Juice Recipe... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110881/foiling-juice-chef-jimmyj  ...It is on the Sweet side but can be adjusted with the addition of some Cider vinegar. Good Luck...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky