Advice please, how to preserve smoked ribs overnight.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Oceantoad

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 26, 2022
Fellow stick burners and meat moppers, I have a question for you. I smoked 6 slabs of St. Louis style ribs for a mothers day dinner tomorrow. I just pulled them off the grill. I'm letting them cool before sticking in the fridge overnight. Tomorrow, what temp should I set the oven to reheat them and for how long? 300 degrees until warmed all the way through? 250? 400? For all the meats I have smoked over the last year, I have never had to reheat. We just grilled and gobbled it down, in fact, there has never ben any leftovers. This was a grill ahead of time and serve the next day. Suggestions?

Fellow stick burners and meat moppers, I have a question for you. I smoked 6 slabs of St. Louis style ribs for a mothers day dinner tomorrow. I just pulled them off the grill. I'm letting them cool before sticking in the fridge overnight. Tomorrow, what temp should I set the oven to reheat them and for how long? 300 degrees until warmed all the way through? 250? 400? For all the meats I have smoked over the last year, I have never had to reheat. We just grilled and gobbled it down, in fact, there has never ben any leftovers. This was a grill ahead of time and serve the next day. Suggestions?
Idk but I've been reading on this. & what I've read says to tightly wrap in tin foil & heat at 250°f. The time for a rack of ribs to warm up I'm unsure.

I reheated a half a rack today at 250°f for 30 minutes & they were warm, but not piping hot.

I do 90% of my ribs ahead of time . If I don't go back on the grill , I'll use the oven at a lower temp like 225 / 250 . I don't wrap .
My go to now is to cut into singles ( after smoked and in the fridge ) then into a pan and cover with sauce . Put on the gas grill until the sauce bubbles . Then I pull them out a few at a time , grill them a bit and back in the sauce . Not suggesting you do that this time around though . Might be an experiment for another day .

Well, what did you do and how did it turn out? I wrap the leftover ribs in foil. Then for reheat I'll toss them back on grill to reheat still in foil. I'll unwrap after 15 -20 minutes then put them back on the grill for a couple minutes. Since ribs are thin, they should reheat quickly no matter how you do it.

Reactions: DieselTech
I do ribs in advance all the time as well. When they come off the smoker, I wrap them in plastic wrap then foil, then toss them on top of an ice bed in a cooler to cool them down quickly. To reheat them, I either use the grill at 300* with the plastic wrap and foil still on them for 30 minutes. Then turn off the heat, unwrap and place them on a baking rack back in the oven or smoker until they are up to temp with the hold over heat in the oven or smoker. You can't tell they were reheated.

Depending on the amount of time, I will either wrap them and put in a cooler (less than 6 hours). If it will be overnight, I vacuum pack them and toss them in the fridge. When ready to serve I now use a Sous Vide to bring them back to temp for eating, if my smoker is still running I will toss them back on after Sous Vide to "tighten" them up for 10-20 minutes. Before I had the Sous Vide, I would toss the package in boiling water for 10 minutes and have been known to toss them on the gasser to get a slight char/tighten them up.

Both ways work great.

- Jason

Reactions: DieselTech
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky